Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7?
Thread Author: Handyman Replies: 13

Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - Handyman
Hi All,

I've been an intermittent lurker here since C4P started and HJ stalled, but a change of boss and more stringent website checking at work means I've only just got around to registering.

I've got a bit of a dilemma and would value some opinions.

We've decided to buy a VW Touran new. However, we're thinking of going for the 5 seat option and getting a spare wheel. SWMBO is insistent she has a spare wheel. We don't need 7 seats as there are only 3 of us, so the standard 5 will be fine for the 5 or so years we own the car.

Has anyone tried to sell a 5-seat 7-seater? Are we making a big mistake ordering 5 seats? Will it be unloved and unwanted when it comes to resale? Am I better ordering the 7 seats then unbolting them from the back and putting a spare, plyboard and carpet in the back whilst it's ours?

Any comments on the practicality of modifying the interior, or sanity of the 5-seat option gratefully accepted.

Cheers
Simon
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - Armel Coussine
Your wife is a sensible woman Handyman. Get-you-home spares are awful. They will get you home, at 50 mph.

My view is that if you don't need 7 seats and do need a full-sized spare you should get what you need. I would. It will certainly be nicer than a cobbled 7 seater, and you would have to put the seats somewhere. Why give yourself the hassle?

I have no idea whether the financial viablity of the car will be affected though. I would think not enough to care about. But people differ.
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - Iffy
Keeping the car for 'five or so' years reduces the value of the seats one way or the other.

It's quite a long time, so far more important to have the car to your preferred spec while you own it.

I didn't have the Touran down as a seven-seater in my mind, although there are one or two owners or ex-owners on here who are better qualified to comment.

Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - -
Agree with both, get the car you want and your wife is spot on....i assume the 7 seater comes with the chocolate teapot package...the can of goo and a toy pump.

5 years is too far away to compromise unless you were offered a cancelled 7 seater order at an irresistable price.
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - Zero
>> Agree with both, get the car you want and your wife is spot on....i assume
>> the 7 seater comes with the chocolate teapot package...the can of goo and a toy
>> pump.

Yes it does, complete waste of space, I ended up calling out a mobile tyre fitter when mine went.

To be honest, I think most people get a 7 seat touran by default, and 99% of them never use the extra two chairs, and when you see them you will see why, useless things only fit for kids, kids I wouldnt put there anyway in case of a rear shunt.

Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - BobbyG
If I was in the market for a used Touran, I would prefer a 7 seater over a 5, purely for the "just in case" scenario.

I can't see a 5 year old one being advertised with a description that says
"only 5 seats but does come with a spare wheel instead of the 7 seat and can of goo".

In fact is one of the perceived benefits of the Touran over some of its rivals not the fact that it has seven seats? Get an Altea XL for half the price, 5 seats and a spacesaver!

Why sort of mileage does she do, can you not just get the 7 seater, leave the seats down and have a space saver sitting in the corner of your boot?

Spacesaver perfectly acceptable for most local commuting but could be apain if she has a regular long motorway commute?
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - zippy
The 7 seater has a pump and goo set, not a space saver on my wifes Touran.

The 7 seats are very useful for kids parties etc. She has never had a flat in it so can't comment on how effective it is.

Would also advise against modifications, especially removing seats and puttting a full wheel in the back.

Unless the full wheel is very secure it could be leathal in an accident as it crashes around the cabin.

It probably a notifiable change on your insurance as well.
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - Handyman
We've looked at lots of cars and discounted the Altea XL along with countless others. It seems to be the Touran or the Honda CRV, but the CRV is nearly £30k with no discount and unknown delivery time after the tsunami. So Touran it is.

I did wonder about the modification issue, as it would be non-original spec. without the extra 2 seats in. Just putting a spare wheel in on top of the 3rd row just adds weight and reduces mpg.....

SWMBO is very nervous about the can of goo and no wheel of any type, especially as she does 20k motorway miles per year and cannot kneel for medical reasons. The 5 seat option is the only way of getting a spare wheel of any sort/size from VW.

Simon
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - BiggerBadderDave
"and cannot kneel for medical reasons"

you poor guy.
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - Zero
you can tho, go on - do a mate a favour.
Well if it is any help, the Mrs loves her's.

Better ergonomics for her than any other car she has had previously. Solidly build and becuase it is seam welded rather than spot welded the body is very rigid and holds the road quite well.

In my opionion it's not the perfect car. It's not the most fuel efficient but that's because its shaped like a brick.

Re the wheel, would a good breakdown service would probably get you out of a fix?
 Volkswagen Touran II - Seats 5 or 7? - ....
>> Has anyone tried to sell a 5-seat 7-seater? Are we making a big mistake ordering
>> 5 seats? Will it be unloved and unwanted when it comes to resale? Am I
>> better ordering the 7 seats then unbolting them from the back and putting a spare,
>> plyboard and carpet in the back whilst it's ours?
>>
Why not buy a seven seater that comes with a space saver? They are out there.
You don't need to move up a size. C4 GP comes with both, Peugeot have an equivalent, have you looked at Ford and Vauxhall ? Ford Grand C-Max has a space saver for £75.
It's not an either/or, you can have both.

VW's loss.
>>>>Why not buy a seven seater that comes with a space saver? They are out there.

Very good point!
Latest Forum Posts