Motoring Discussion > GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? Legal Questions
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 18

GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Perky Penguin
Yesterday's Times IN Gear section had a Q & A in which it was confirmed that any warning device which detects cameras by picking up their radio/laser emissions is illegal. It then added that GPS camera detection systems have been declared illegal in Germany and that TomTom have modified their service so that warnings will not be active in Germany. Can anyone answer this before I ask TomTom, please? I am suspicious as my TT speed camera updates still include Germany which is odd, if they are of no use! Plus I have seen n o other mention of this fairly major law change anywhere else.
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Bagpuss
Speed trap warnings from GPS devices are illegal in Germany and you can't officially get the updates in Germany anymore. So I get mine from abroad.
AA site says that, in Germany, maps that show location of cameras are illegeal ie the display of cameras as POIs is not permitted but is it possible to have the cameras NOT displayed on the map but get an audible warning when near them? I shall have to experiment!
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Bagpuss
I wouldn't worry about it. I have the cameras displayed on my Navigon device, as does everyone I know here. The main effect of the law has been to make it more difficult to get updates.
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Zero
>> is it possible to have
>> the cameras NOT displayed on the map but get an audible warning when near them?
>> I shall have to experiment!

Yes you can have transparent icons on the map so they cant be seen. Just rename the POIs to something else, and no copper can see them on the POI list either.

Bingo - they do not exist, except when they make a sound near a camera.
Zero - for the benefit of a penguin with a VERY small brain, can you tell my how to change the name of Cameras from "Cameras" in POIs, to "ATM Cashpoints" and still get the updates for the cameras?
now you have posed the question, what Sat nav do you have?
TT Go 720. I can prevent the cameras showing on the map but can still get an audio warning when I am near one so I am nearly there!
is this the tomtom speed camera poi updates or another source?
I get my speedcameras downloads from TT and they are in the device as "Speed Cameras". I am not aware of any way of keeping the cameras but re-titling them to "Aldi Supermarkets" for example.

To those who say you should be aware of where you are and the speed limits cameras are there to prevent accidents and save your life I say "Round Objects". There are plenty of cameras sited in places where there hasn't ever been accident and where there can be confusion if one is unfamiliar with the area.

A dual carriageway was opened in Essex some years ago with speed cameras already installed!
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Biggles
ยง23 (1b) of the Road Traffic Regulations states:

The driver of a motor vehicle is prohibited to use or keep ready for use a technical device intended for the display or disruption of traffic control measures. This is particularly true for devices to disrupt or display speed measurements (Radar warning or Laser disruption devices).

This has been read so as to include GPS warning devices but, as far as I am aware, there is no case law to this effect. Theoretically, car radios would also be covered since radio stations regularly broadcast the location of speed traps. GPS devices do no more than show the same information given by the roadside furniture waring of speed cameras.

Switzerland seems to ban GPS based devices though.
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Collos
Living in Germany I know where all the fixed cameras are in my area its the roaming cameras that are the menace 20minutes here 20 minutes there ,camoflaged as rubbish containers etc and then there are the hand held devices.No Tom Tom can pick these up so its best to stay within the limits at all times.
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - IJWS14
I still don't understand why you would need the warnings. Unless, like many drivers I see, you habitually exceed the speed limit.

I don't use the feature on my TOMTOM.

Having lit fuse stands well back
Some of us prefer to judge the safe speed ourselves. Indeed often the legal speed limit is too high, and sometimes too Low.

I will make that judgement based on experience and local conditions prevailing at the time.
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - VxFan
>> I still don't understand why you would need the warnings.

We're supposed to believe cameras are only sited at accident black spots. Therefore being warned you're about to approach an accident black spot is a good thing, IMHO.
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - IJWS14
>> We're supposed to believe cameras are only sited at accident black spots. Therefore being warned
>> you're about to approach an accident black spot is a good thing, IMHO.
>>

From the response you don't believe they are at accident blackspots so your reason for having it dissapears.

I am with Zero on this - You should recognise the more hazardous sections of road without a camera warning or you should not be driving.
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Fri 16 Jul 10 at 08:43
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Old Navy
>> I am with Zero on this - You should recognise the more hazardous sections of
>> road without a camera warning or you should not be driving.
>>

I agree with Zero as well.

Oh dear, I can't be awake yet to admit to that !
I don't habitually exceed the speed limit but there are occasions when I am not 100% sure what it is on any given stretch of road!
 GPS Speed Camera Detection - Illegal in Germany? - Old Navy
>> I don't habitually exceed the speed limit but there are occasions when I am not
>> 100% sure what it is on any given stretch of road!
>>

That is all part of the camera scam, poor or confusing signs, inappropriate limits, and signs occasionally obscured by trees etc.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 18 Jul 10 at 10:09
Latest Forum Posts