Motoring Discussion > Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 43

Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Fenlander
First service at 12,500mls on my 11mth old C5 Tourer yesterday. £220.16 was plenty for something I could have done in 40mins with £40 of parts/oil but it's part of new car costs so no real problem. At least their customer service experience was spot on, I had a nice buzz about in a C2 HDi VTR free loan car and they polished mine (see it was worth taking it in clean).

As far as a report on 12.5K with the C5 goes you can can rarely convert a non-believer to a bigger Citroen but....

It has been faultless right from delivery and delivers exactly the refined driving experience I'd wanted.

The mass of facia/wheel buttons/controls do take a week or two to get 100% used to but once understood the electronic systems really are seamless. The auto-lights, auto-wipers, auto-dip rear mirror, integrated sat-nav(with traffic)/CD/radio, comprehensive computer/info displays and excellent seats/driving position all work to enhance the cabin side of driving.

For my daily 90% rural driving the ride/handling balance is spot on and very powerful brakes, good ABS, effective ESP and cornering lights make for safe progress. The traction control is a snow biased system called *snowmotion* which was brilliant in last years weather.

Mine has the 1.6HDi engine. I never really drive to maximise economy and the lowest I've seen is 47mpg on hard short runs, 50-53mpg is usual and 55.3mpg the best seen on a motorway run. It has to be admitted it hasn't the surging power of larger diesels for an *impress the brother-in-law snatched overtake* but overall it will make easy progress far above the speed limit on any road should that be your thing.

Yep, for me, it was the perfect choice for my current needs.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 10:19
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Zero
And its a rather handsome beast. It has presence.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Redviper
I was taken back at how good looking the C5 is, as Zero says its a handsome beast

My Partner has the same engine in our C4, and, when you boot it, it doesnt half shift. - but its a smaller car again ours has been faultless apart from the hanbrake warning light switch that was replaced under warranty, no quiblle.
Last edited by: Redviper on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 11:51
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - hawkeye
>>
>> Yep, for me, it was the perfect choice for my current needs.
>>
>>

How many of us can say that about our current wheels?

Glad it's been good to you.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - mikeyb
Fen - I would pretty much mirror everything you have said. I moved into the C5 from 4 previous Audi's , and although the build quality and feeling of solidity (spelling?) is not quite on a par its a lot closer than I was expecting.

I've had no faults so far except for a safety recall, and on two occasions unlocking the car has turned on the radio. I'm sure a software update would fix it, but not enough of an issue to worry me as the battery wont ever go flat.

I travel a bit in my job so have been working my way through our pool cars at work and some of Europcars finest, and can't really say that I have driven anything else in the last 12 months that I would swap for. I would also say that the C5 is unbelievabley refined - more so than anything else I have driven of late
>>>C5 is unbelievabley refined.

Yes that's often the main comment from drivers of similar class cars who travel in it... but they then add they'd never have the nerve to run a big Citroen.

Don't like to seem shallow but the looks were big draw towards the car in the first place.... lucky the rest of it lived up to the promise.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Bagpuss
I was recently in a C5 taxi. Quite apart from the very attractive styling I was mightily impressed with it as a passenger. Absorbent ride and comfortable interior are better than the C6 and the well made but rather haphazard dashboard has a sort of gallic appeal when you spend so much time staring at BMW's cold logic. Will definitely be on my list of possible replacements for my 5 Series when the lease is up for renewal.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Videodoctor
A Citroen C5 was on my short list of next cars to buy.The 3 main things that put me off were as follows.

1.The main one was it is only available as a saloon or estate.No hatchback.After having a hatchback the saloon seems very restricted as to what you can carry.

2.Long term reliability was always in the back of my mind.

3.The price to too high for the spec i wanted.The dealers didn't want to discount the £2000 off that 'What car' target price quoted.

I ended up buying a Ford Mondeo Titanium X.It has a massive hatch boot,rear leg room for over 6 footers and more toys than any car i ever seen.Also the ride,even on 18" wheels, is very compliant.I know the C5 is a handsom beast but i think my Mondeo looks good from all angles.
Last edited by: Videodoctor on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 22:55
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Londoner
>> 1.The main one was it is only available as a saloon or estate.No hatchback.After having
>> a hatchback the saloon seems very restricted as to what you can carry.

I agree, I only want hatchbacks (not saloons or estates)

It's a shame. The C5 is a nice looking car with many other good points, as mentioned above. It's frustrating that the C5 USED to be a hatchback, but as soon as they started to mutter the usual verbage about "moving up market", "premium feel" etc you knew that they would only be producing the saloon and estate versions.

Stupid! Stupid! Honda made the same tactical error as well. They dropped the hatchback variant from the Accord, once again chasing the chimera of moving "up-market". They never learn though. No-one will pay anything like up-market prices unless it is Norther European or Lexus.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Iffy
...unless it is Norther European or Lexus....

Or maybe one day infiniti:

www.infiniti.co.uk/view_all_vehicles.html

Incidentally, someone chopped the roof off a C5 for the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show and called it an Airspace:

tinyurl.com/3x8q8o8
Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 23:38
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Londoner
Nice! Looks like an Audi from the side. Conjures up all the same subliminal messages of solidity, luxury and engineering.

Very impressive. Shame it's only a concept, but you never know.... :-)
>> Or maybe one day infiniti:

Infiniti models are sold in Germany, I drove past a dealer in Frankfurt. The only ones I've actually seen on the road have been the big horrible FX things.
>>>Incidentally, someone chopped the roof off a C5 for the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show and called it an Airspace: tinyurl.com/3x8q8o8

They were crafty with the Airspace. It was shown as a concept car 6mths before the C5 came out and most commentators at the time were saying that *some* of the features and styling might be seen in the new C5. I think the concept was such a leap forward from the old C5 no-one really thought this was 99% how the new C5 was really going to be.
I leased mine - not stupid enough to put my hard earned into a big french car :-)

Actually the lease costs were very attractive - not sure if they still are, but they were quite a bit less than the equivalent mondeo when I got mine 18 months back, in fact I can't really see how they made the numbers stack up. I will be exploring the purchase price from the lease co at the end of mine because if the price is reasonable then buying it at the end may mean that its cost me less than if I had just bough outright at the begining.

I can only assume that the reluctance to discount is perhaps being driven by Citroen trying to change there bargain basement image
Citroen generally seem to be pulling themselves nicely out of the doldrums they've been stuck in for the last 20 years or so (with the exception of the Xantia). They now have some very appealing products. The DS3 is a real looker (in my opinion), the C4 is also worth a look instead of a Golf or Focus and the latest C5 is a real cracker. The version with the 3.0 Biturbo diesel engine used in the Jaguar XF looks especially good. Shame the C6 is such a disappointment.
Last edited by: Bagpuss on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 14:41
>>>the lease costs were very attractive - not sure if they still are.

They were really giving them away on lease last year Mikey but they have crept up. Looking at Ling's site mine would now be £60/mth more than the contract I have... a small part of course being due to the 15%-17.5% vat rise.

There are bargains in the lease prices most weeks though if you are flexible on make/model.

BTW I see Ling has been awarded her long fought over HJ HAT award. If you find her a laugh look at her page where she announces it and has some fun at HJ's expense in the process.

www.lingscars.com/hat-award.php
For the sake of fair reporting just an update....

A couple of days after the service/software update Mrs F noticed her plip didn't open my car, by chance the same morning I noticed I'd gained what seemed to be daytime running lamps at the front.

Phoned in and straight away they asked to have the car back indicating it might have had the wrong update loaded. That work was carried out yesterday. They've re-coded the second plip and explained the daytime running lamps are now an option enabled in the lighting menu by this update so I can choose to have them or not.

Not a massive deal having to take it back but it would have been good if it was spot on at visit one. At least they cleaned the car again.... but there was even a twist in that.

When I collected they said it was just going to be driven round from the cleaning bay. As the very short valeter got out I thought I wonder...

Yep he'd moved the seat forward and fiddled with both rake, height and lumbar. All for a 500ft drive!
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - madf
Just imagine what it will be like in 7 years when the electronics start playing up and it's "£500 to test the software sir"...
Yep exactly... it's what we're all facing.... hence my comments in another thread about changing my opinion in favour of main dealer warranties where possible.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 19 Nov 10 at 14:19
So do you have the option of DRL's in the menu now? I don't - just checked (but its in the handbook)

Also do you have headlight washers? I have the bits in the bumper that looks like they should be there, but think they are just blanking plates
Yes I've re-enabled them as my car is tarmac colour and easily missed by others in some situations.

No headlamp washers though... unless it's possible they are hiding away waiting for a trim spec software update!
>> Yes I've re-enabled them as my car is tarmac colour and easily missed by others
>> in some situations.

I've got Thorium Grey, the slightly lighter than tarmac colour :-) I would activate them if I had it, but its not on my menu :-( wonder if the garage didn't bother with the upgrade as ours are pretty close in age
I can't remember if the DRls were in the menu and not enabled or not in the menu from new.

The software update had a code like MFL and a letter came through the post for it. My C5 was delivered 31/12/09 so just 6mths or so newer than yours??

They're not horrible LED strips... just a bulb.
>> Yep exactly... it's what we're all facing....

Not true in my experieince of Toyota Yarises.. the electrics appear robust...Far better designed and implemented - especially cable layouts - than many of their competitors...

Having said that our family has had 3 Peugeot 106s (now 1) - and touch wood no electriiical problems except for a 12 year old alternator belt snapping on Monday night...
Last edited by: madf on Fri 19 Nov 10 at 15:26
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Redviper
My 8 Year old Astra G the full beam started playing up, I left it for a bit until I could afford to do something about it it was summer never used it, had a look at the fuses, all fine put them back in and nothing electrical would work.

Turned out to be a Relay, £5 for the part £160 for the auto Electrician to Diagnose and replace.
I found a £15 multimeter with autoscale from ebay is the best electronic investment I have made..
And a little reading up on ABS systems when diagnosing a failed sensor...

When I read how some garages spend hours and pounds on testing systems - when all it needs are some simple tests which a teenager could do- I despair..
>>>Not true in my experieince of Toyota Yarises.. the electrics appear robust...Far better designed and implemented - especially cable layouts - than many of their competitors...

Cable quality/layouts are not the main issue that will determine the layman's ability to DIY diagnoser/repair as all cars... even budget ones... move towards software driven control of systems.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - RichardW
Clone Lexias are pretty good now, and getting down to close the price of a couple of diag sessions at the dealer....a must for modern Citroen DIY really!
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - Richie
Hi my name is Richie and I`m new on this forum.

Ive just got me self aC5 tourer, it`s a great car. I got it with 14,000 miles on it so far it`s been faultless but it only just 12 months old.

The service was carried out by the place I bought it from and not a Citroen dealer do you think it makes any difference?

My intention is to look after it the best way I know how, which is getting it serviced at a dealer in future.

I found the car well equiped, it`s the 16 diesel with sat nav, my feeling is that it rivals Audi`s for looks and comfort.

Richie.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - -
>> The service was carried out by the place I bought it from and not a
>> Citroen dealer do you think it makes any difference?

Welcome Richie.

So long as genuine parts have been used and the book has been stamped by a VAT regd garage then there shouldn't be a problem, though i'd want to know for certain that the correct (C3? i think) oil was used by the car supplier.

Might be worth having a poke nose to check if it's a genuine oil filter on the side of the engine, if not i'd be inclined to purchase one and slip it on..;)

I know some owners use independents for servicing from day one but i'm of the opinion that any faults out of warranty indeed within will be looked on more favourably with a main dealer history, and along those lines hope you find a good MD.

Nice car by the way, and enjoy your time here.
Hello Richie. Nice choice of used car.

The current C5 is so complex, in particular with regard to the software systems, I would keep to dealer services until the warranty ends at 3yrs old. For example did the selling dealer do the lighting software update (a crucial safety one) that was issued last month?

Also there are very specific procedures for oil changes on this engine to avoid turbo failure later in life. If you were claiming for a replacement turbo under warranty at 2.5yrs old I wouldn't want to have arguments as to the ability and correctness of parts/oil used by your independent.

Just my view.

BTW.... GB the oil filter on these is an element so it can't be checked.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 21:22

>> Also there are very specific procedures for oil changes on this engine to avoid turbo
>> failure later in life. I
>> BTW.... GB the oil filter on these is an element so it can't be checked.
>>

That's interesting FL, didn't know it was an element, i wonder if it's the same on the C2 or does the shopping trolley get the basics maybe?

You've got me intrigued about special oil change procedures, do please tell.
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - ....
I think you've probably read but may have forgotten about these clogging the oil ways in the turbo. Only seems to happen to the 1.6's., not a problem for you gb as you'll be on 6k changes anyway.
It's an element on this whole engine range and has been since the C3 came out with the 1.4HDi.

The special oil change procedures were brought to my attention on HJ by a Citroen enthusiast. There is a Citroen advice sheet that basically says if even a small amount of the old oil is left in it might contaminate the new oil and risk turbo damage. So they advise proper draining, never using a vacuum pump and of course never doing an interim leaving the filter in place.

I take this advice with a pinch of salt as I think they are just establishing a procedure to try and catch out those who haven't followed it in case of turbo failure to avoiding paying out. The 1.6HDi does seem to be lubrication critical in the C5 (and perhaps others) as it's the only C5 diesel with a 12.5K interval... the others are 20K.
>> The 1.6HDi does seem to be lubrication critical
>> in the C5 (and perhaps others) as it's the only C5 diesel with a 12.5K
>> interval... the others are 20K.
>>
The C4 GP 1.6HDi has the same 12.5k interval.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 21:56
Thanks FL.

I always drain the sump fully anyway it's common sense to me, but that's interesting to hear that the maker wants proper draining too.

I might be persuaded to doing an in between service Gmac..;) hate to break the habit of a lifetime's neglect.
Been champing at the bit to get some Millers oil and a filter, got to find the filter housing first mind and if it's as buried as the air filter then it might wait till the weather breaks.
Hope your C3 (?) is better designed than the C4 GP gb. First time I have EVER had to take a headlight out to change an air filter !!!
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 22:03
No problem with the oil filter access GB. Get at it easily from the top.

The plastic housing top unscrews... its something like a 27mm... I use an old diesel injector socket. Got to get the element in right though... it has a funny nipple with o-ring on the bottom that slips into a hole on the housing. Get it wrong and it crushes the filter.

BTW the C3 1.4HDi air filter is right over the engine and can be changed in a minute.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 22:07
>> No problem with the oil filter access GB. Get at it easily from the top.
>> BTW the C3 1.4HDi air filter is right over the engine and can be changed
>> in a minute.

Ah thats all very well and the oil filter sounds fine FL, however the air filter is buried at the back of the engine under the bulkhead tray and some manipulation looks called for as well as a number of bolts to shift, think that will be a warm day operation to lessen the numer of plastic bits i break.

~~Hope your C3 (?) is better designed than the C4 GP gb. First time I have EVER had to take a headlight out to change an air filter !!!

Thats a handy design Gmac, does the air filter have to come out to change the headlight too..;)
It's a C2 VTS 1.6 Hdi and it looks to be a tight squeeze for the air filter with the potential for skinned knuckles and much cursing.

However She Who Must loves the little thing, and it does go well so i can understand why.
>> Thats a handy design Gmac, does the air filter have to come out to change
>> the headlight too..;)
>> It's a C2 VTS 1.6 Hdi and it looks to be a tight squeeze for
>> the air filter with the potential for skinned knuckles and much cursing.
>>
Sorry get my C2's and 3's mixed up. No the air filter doesn't have to come out to change a light bulb but if the headlight is broken then many cable ties are needed to keep the outer wing, wiper valence and slam panel together ahem! apparently...
 Citroen C5 II - Citroen C5 Tourer 1st service & 12.5K report. - corax
They are really nice looking cars, a nice change from all the German stuff. Keep up the reports, as it would be nice to know how this latest Citroen fares, I'm hoping it will remain reliable, crossed fingers!
Here is the link to a scan of the Citroen oil change tech sheet...

bigjohnd.org.uk/CCC/OilChange-DV6.pdf
>> Here is the link to a scan of the Citroen oil change tech sheet...

Couldn't make it any clearer to the tech's that oil change neglect will result in warranty rejection.

Notice there's no actual oil specification sheet with that file, the handbook isn't particularly clear on oil specs, i understand C2 or C3 is called for from Millers site but in the handbook it appears that B4 is OK too.
Hi Richie,

Was the first service carried out at 14K when you got it? The interval on this engine is 12.5K so the first service would have been late. I don't know how lenient Citroen are with late services, and I cant find it in the hand book either, but I do know that Ford used to be 1K over.
Latest Forum Posts