Motoring Discussion > Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. Legal Questions
Thread Author: - Replies: 33

Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - -
The outlaws bought a Mazda 3 some 12 months ago, it's done around 14K miles.

The clutch failed last week and they were recovered to a main dealer, not the supplying dealer as far as i know.
Dealer is waiting for parts and i believe has not yet dismantled yet.

Dealer will not contact Mazda to negotiate goodwill....warranty seemingly not applying for wear and tear..;)...they have suggested the oulaws contact Mazda and hope for a 50% goodwill contribution.

They are a mature couple who drive their cars quite normally and haven't needed clutches replacing before.

Looking on t'internet there don't seem to be problems reported here but many come up from the USA which may or may not be the same car.

Any suggestions...apart from get another Honda next time..;)
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - rtj70
Mazda is one of the only car makers to cover early clutch failure due to driver error. But I think it's 9 months so no good here.

I don't think there is a Mazda clutch problem - maybe a manufacturing defect?
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - RattleandSmoke
Have you said for sure it is the clutch plate? Could it not be a problem with a clutch cylinder or bearing rather than the plate itself? I ask because if it is not the plate it is a lot more likely to be covered under warranty.

Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - Lygonos
Clutch "failure" is unlikely to be wear and tear - perhaps plate material delamination or as Ratz says a problem with the actuation side - good chance of significant goodwill or full warranty job - how can they know what is needed if it's not been dismantled - sounds dodgy.
>> I don't think there is a Mazda clutch problem - maybe a manufacturing defect?
>>

That's what i'm wondering, whatever's found when the box is dropped it will be driver abuse to blame i suspect.

edit...Rattie and Lygonos...i suspect it is sudden failure of some part, it'sd the reluctance of the dealer to speak to Mazda that has me baffled, is that normal...no not me being baffled that's a constant state..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 21:13
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - Zero
Depends on the failure. The only wear and tear thing I can think of is the plates, and they don't usually go with a catastrophic "tow me home" way.

So unless it diagnosed as "slipping due to worn plates" I would argue Mazda to cough up.
I am not so sure, a few people have had problems with the clutches on the FIAT multijet engines and providing the car has been under warranty FIAT have usually paid up.

I think the cars owners need to stand their ground here. It dosn't have a dual mass flywheel does it?
It's a petrol so i don't think it's DMF...the quote for renewal is just under £500 though whether that includes VAT i do not know.

Z they're not the sort of people to go in with assurance, if it were ours i'd send in SWM.;) and i do believe it's outright sudden fault failure too.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - jc2
The first cars to use DMF were petrol engined.Diesels came later.
Mazda will sort out clutches regardless of cause of problem (e.g. driving it to create clutch slip on purpose) up to a certain mileage age. Or at least they used to. GB's example probably falls outside this limit.

I can't see how they can work out who pays unless it's taken apart though.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - swiss tony
Would I be correct in guessing its a diesel?
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - Runfer D'Hills
Well at least you could loan them the Merc until it's sorted. Give the poor old thing a run out anyway. Bet they would appreciate it even if you don't...
It's a petrol ST.

I couldn't lend them Bessy...i wonder what state she's in now..;)
Euphoric at a guess. Almost certainly polished to a shine and sitting proudly on some young family's drive and ready to do what she does best all over again. I feel sure of it.
>> It's a petrol ST.

TS surely.... pedant corner for me.
I think the ST refers to "Swiss Tony"....

:-)
So it probably does ;-) It probably is a TS or a TS2 though.
>> It's a petrol ST.

Hm... ok, that's a surprise to me.... I'll do some asking around for you.. what CC? and I presume a new shape one?
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - Statistical Outlier
If they keep refusing to help, ask to see the clutch plates that come off the car. My Honda had a new clutch on warranty at 100k miles because there was a manufacturing fault and the plates weren't engaging in parallel as they should.

At 14k miles I think there is a strong argument for a very significant contribution at the very least. If the dealer won't approach Mazda then I'd say that they should be doing so themselves.
If the dealer won't approach Mazda then I'd say that they
>> should be doing so themselves.
>>
That's what the dealer suggests they do, which couldn't be further from Toyota's attitude who take care of everything, the customer is not expected to do his own bartering.

Good suggestion about wanting all parts that come off, in fact the outlaw dad works in an engineering environment so there could be some interest there.

{{I'll do some asking around for you.. what CC? and I presume a new shape one? }}

Thank's ST, it's a 1.6 and the latest shape.

Still no parts available yet by the way.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - DP
The last (and only) sudden clutch failure I've had was the concentric slave cylinder / release bearing unit relieving itself of all hydraulic pressure, followed by the contents of the clutch hydraulic circuit rather suddenly. Big bang, floppy clutch pedal, breakdown truck. No warning at all prior to the event, apart from an "odd" feel to the clutch pedal for one gearchange only about a mile back up the road.
Update, the car is back and they were charged roughly £480 for the clutch.

It apparently needed a new 'flywheel' at circa £400 but as they were quoted the first price that isn't going to be charged.

I assume that a £400 flywheel is a DMF.

They now waiting on Mazda Care so further update's in due course.

By the way unbeknown to me...or them..the car was taken to the supplying dealer for repair, and as far as i'm aware the parts replaced are not available for independent inspection.
It could be that the displaced parts were exchange, or maybe just chucked out.
Normally though, parts should be made available for the customer to see, at least at the time of the cars collection.

I have done a little digging, and as far as my contact knows, there is no known issue with clutches on these cars.
The parts removed belong to the customer.

Flywheels and clutches are not "exchange" parts - I'd refuse to pay until they were made available.

Worst customer service ever.
>> The parts removed belong to the customer.
>>
>> Flywheels and clutches are not "exchange" parts - I'd refuse to pay until they were
>> made available.
>>
>> Worst customer service ever.
>>
On the 1st point, I agree - to a point.
Most customers would not want the displaced units, so the normal course of action if for the garage to dispose of them (unless asked not to) on behalf of the customer.
Most customers would be most unhappy to find old parts in the boot, or worse still, on the passenger seat!

2nd point, some ARE exchange - depends on the particular part, would normally show on the invoice, or asking the garage would confirm.
IF the parts are exchange then the old units become the garages property upon the refund of the surcharge.

3rd point.... why?
Its not the best service by the sound of it, but not the worst!
What makes you say it was the worst customer service?

Edit, if i understand GB correctly, the flywheel was FOC, due to the original quote, I would class THAT as good service - most garages would re-quote with 'additional' parts....
Last edited by: swiss tony on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 22:32
Re-reading the OP... not asking Mazda for 'consideration' IS less than good service... it never hurts to ask, To be honest I had forgotten that particular point.......
I make a presumption that the car was brand new on purchase and is about 12 mths old (not explicitly stated by OP however).

The clutch has failed suddenly.

Without dismantling the clutch the dealer has already ordered parts that need replaced.

They refuse to entertain asking Mazda for assistance.

They then heroically throw in a free flywheel (a well known wear and tear component...)

And finally they don't have any parts available to show the customer.

This stinks of a scam.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - Hard Cheese

>>
>> This stinks of a scam.
>>

Scam is a bit strong though it does provide a strong argument in respect of getting the £480 back.

Thanks for taking the trouble ST, nothing came up on the net either so it's probably one of those rare things and they'll have to take it on the chin, pity about the parts though.

Had i been the service guy and driver abuse was certain i'd have liked to show them the evidence of slipping/burning if for no other reason than to exonerate my product or service.

We'll just have to see what Mazda say in due course.
I hope it wasn't a dealership owned by a Scots guy.
The one which vandalised my brand new car by sticking a bright yellow sticker on the tailgate by chance?
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Clutch failure. - Zero
Right ok, I assum ethis car is brand new yes?

From whats been said "EVERYTHING" should have been covered under warranty. I would not have handed over a bean. Contribution my toe.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 23:06
If this was fixed at a Mazda dealer, expect a customer service follow up call and tell them what is thought of service etc. I get called up every time my Mazda goes into the local dealer to see if I was happy with service etc.
Update.

Well it appears that they have had a new flywheel out of the deal, but the maker's attitude is wear and tear, the replaced parts never reappeared, that's it folks.

I don't like it, but i'd have done things somewhat differently...as many of you would.
Latest Forum Posts