Motoring Discussion > New speed cameras on M1 Legal Questions
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 27

New speed cameras on M1 - movilogo
For those who travel regularly through M1 in South East, be advised that there are some speed cameras installed in some of the gantries!

I noticed one between J8 and J9. They can only be seen from opposite carriageway and thus not visible when your side.

There was one camera for each lane. I even saw one flashing. They must have been very recent as I travel on this segment regularly.

Although nearly all M1 gantries have speed camera signs on them, most of them actually don't have anything.

New speed cameras on M1 - Bellboy
are you sure they arent anpr to catch any more bombers?
How can I be sure? I thought ANPR cameras look like specs cameras.

These ones are boxy with a small opening (from where flash came) and grey in color.
 New speed cameras on M1 - FuzzyDuck
They are HADECS2, virtually the same as the HADECS on the M25 and M42, but approved to be used with a non-variable speed limit.
 New speed cameras on M1 - Perky Penguin
SFAIK Specs cameras, apart from looking very distinctive, (A box with two smaller boxes attached, one each side) don't flash - they work with infra red light.

ANPR cameras look, broadly like this

tinyurl.com/6x2omux

and SPECS cameras look like this

tinyurl.com/62b7yeb

Note the distinctive L shape of the gantry and the Logo int rt angle ben of it = Looks a bit like a motorola logo

New speed cameras on M1 - Zero
who mentioned specs?
 New speed cameras on M1 - Perky Penguin
I did and movilogo referred to them.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 14:54
 New speed cameras on M1 - bathtub tom
To dispel the myth that average speed cameras don't catch anyone:
tinyurl.com/6chbp76
 New speed cameras on M1 - -
>> To dispel the myth that average speed cameras don't catch anyone:

Yep, they caught my barmy daughter at the M6/A14 jct a few months ago, luckily she caught a course.

Daughters should come with a govt health warning.
 New speed cameras on M1 - Dave_

435 tickets a month? That works out at one every hour and 40 minutes. I'm surprised they don't issue an awful lot more - every time I travel through average speed camera zones a good 10% of the traffic completely ignores the 20mph lower limit.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 14:58
 New speed cameras on M1 - Bromptonaut

Surprised that catch that many. I'm going through the Catthorpe viaduct site most weekends and compliance is very good. Those caught are either chancers or so far off paying attention that they deserve everything they get.

Nearly had me before Xmas; latter category. Been to a funeral in Leeds, aunt by marriage and one of the last connections (apart from Mum) with my parent's generation. Saw people I'd not met for thirty years and will almost certainly never see again; got lost in reminiscing about sixties holidays in Scarborough and missed the commencement 50.
 New speed cameras on M1 - Old Navy
There are dozens of these cameras in the Edinburgh area, often on top of traffic lights. If they are only for "traffic monitoring" why are they on the little used emergency access roads around the airport and traffic choke points across rivers?

www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/4065681.50_cameras_to_ease_city_jams/

Ease city traffic jams, do they think we are totally stupid? Movment monitoring would be my guess.
 New speed cameras on M1 - Runfer D'Hills
I could tell you but they won't let me...It's nothing to worry about really...It's for your own good.
>> I could tell you but they won't let me...It's nothing to worry about really...It's for
>> your own good.
>>

If you are bound by the OSA it answers it anyway. :-)
 New speed cameras on M1 - Zero
>> There are dozens of these cameras in the Edinburgh area, often on top of traffic
>> lights. If they are only for "traffic monitoring" why are they on the little used
>> emergency access roads around the airport and traffic choke points across rivers?

Sure your not getting them mixed up with the IR receivers the Emergency services use to make the lights change?
Very sure. IR recievers dont require IR illuminators.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 15:59
 New speed cameras on M1 - Runfer D'Hills
Well remembered comrade Zero. I had forgotten the official response in the manual...I think they'll accept that explanation without any need for unpleasantness...

:-)
Today I had a closer look on the cameras. There are two - one just before J8 and another just before J9 (both M1 southbound - could not see anything northbound).

It is difficult to spot them unless you are careful. While approaching the gantry, you could see spec like cameras facing you between two electronic boards (the one where reduced speed limits are displayed). There is one such spec camera for each lane. I think this camera triggers the bigger camera flash to catch your rear number plate when you crossed the gantry.
 New speed cameras on M1 - John H
>> Ease city traffic jams, do they think we are totally stupid? Movment monitoring would be my guess.
>>

Yes, it is bound to happen once you get a jihadi bungler attack Edinburgh.

"British terror-plods will be given real-time access to the massive camera network operated in London to support the Congestion Charge, it has been reported.
www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/18/smith_n_mcnulty_surrender_to_jihadi_bunglers/ "

tinyurl.com/4fb2aph - The Times news
The movements of millions of motorists are being recorded each day and held on a police database

tinyurl.com/yau5qql - The Times news
a nationwide network of cameras that is being used to take up to 14m photographs of motorists every day

see some in action here tinyurl.com/4qsjt46 (Google maps)

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jul/04/anpr-surveillance-numberplate-recognition
The home secretary, Theresa May, has ordered that a national police camera network that logs more than 10m movements of motorists every day be placed under statutory regulation.

Last edited by: John H on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 16:46
Duff link.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 16:57
 New speed cameras on M1 - John H
>> Duff link.
>>

If you are referring to one of my 5 links above, can you please specify which one is it?

They all work on my browser.

No, my duff link, (deleted). :-)
This camera can not be for traffic management, this is average traffic for this road near the airport.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Edinburgh+Airport&aq=1&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.051414,28.081055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Edinburgh+Airport+(EDI),+Edinburgh+EH12+9DN,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.943721,-3.366108&spn=0,0.109692&t=h&z=13&layer=c&cbll=55.943785,-3.365878&panoid=uoAafAY0JFmbTrKwmHF7zg&cbp=12,52.51,,0,0.15
 New speed cameras on M1 - marleez
i was driving on the motorway on saturday nite, on the way up northbound i seen flashes on the opposite side. then when i made my way back southbound i seen flashes.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 01:37
 New speed cameras on M1 - Dieselboy
>>Sure your not getting them mixed up with the IR receivers the Emergency services use to >>make the lights change?

Eh? There's no such thing - at least not that the ambulance service have access to.
 New speed cameras on M1 - marleez
this morning i was driving up the m1 and looked on the opposite side and seen them. all 4 lanes have these big grey boxes - they are the cameras and they have flashes on them.

also last nite on the way home i was driving south bound and i was sticking to the limit. and other mortorists were speeding and they didnt flash.

maybe they were testing them last week?
>> could not see anything northbound

I was wrong. They are both on southbound and northbound carriageways.

Don't know why they have not painted them yellow. Very difficult to spot.

>> I was wrong. They are both on southbound and northbound carriageways.
>>
>> Don't know why they have not painted them yellow. Very difficult to spot.
>>
>>

I wonder why, couldn't be that they are designed to to be income generators could it?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 11:46
Latest Forum Posts