Motoring Discussion > What makes new engines burn oil? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 24

What makes new engines burn oil? - RattleandSmoke
Is the seals which have not properly bedded in? My engine used 1 litre of oil until around 3000 miles. I had it serviced last month at 3300 miles and after it I checked the dipstick and it was on max. 430 miles later the dipstick is still on max so I now assume it has stopped burning oil (but I will continue to check it every other week).

So why did my engine use so much oil when brand new? I know it is normal but why?
 What makes new engines burn oil? - Skoda
>> 430 miles later the dipstick is still on max

You sure the coolant's not just dropping? :-P :-P (joking!)

I think it's something like the cylinder walls have a pattern machined into them and running in scrubs this away, until it's bedded in excess oil is able to cling to the walls then on the next combustion stroke gets burned off in v small quantities.

Might be wrong or there might be other ways it can go too.
 What makes new engines burn oil? - Londoner
What Skoda said, plus....
when the metal bits such as piston rings/cylinder walls are bedding-in on a new engine, until they rub themselves into a good fit, all that friction generates heat and causes oil to evaporate or break down.
This isn't so much burning oil (which is more a feature of older or faulty engines) so much as *consuming* oil.

A nice difference maybe - either way you lose some oil!
 What makes new engines burn oil? - ....
I've often pondered this myself. Where does the oil go ?

I've seen smoky cars on the motorway which have the obvious black soot stuck to the rear end around the exhaust pipe.

One car I had burned a litre of oil every 300 miles. It had only covered ~18k miles, was less than two years old, no obvious leaks and no soot on the rear end. It took a bottom end rebuild to fix it but there were no obvious leaks other than what you could not see on the dipstick.

That was a FIAT. Loved that car.
 What makes new engines burn oil? - Old Navy
In Rattles case it evaporates due to lack of use. :-)
:-)

Seperate issue but kind of linked ON. When your KIA was smokey was it when you left the engine idling from cold before driving that you would get a puff of smoke ?

My D5 is now sending smoke signals if I leave it idling but only after 7k miles or so after service. When it is serviced I can leave it idling and it is clean as a whistle, it's only when it is coming up due for service and I leave it idling for a few minutes before driving off that I get a message in the rear view mirror.

If I drive straight off, no signals.
>> :-)
>>
>Separatete issue but kind of linked ON. When your KIA was smokey was it when
>> you left the engine idling from cold before driving that you would get a puff
>> of smoke ?
>>

The Ceeds (and Hyundai i30 with the same engine) can smoke when idling immediately after a cold start. This is black or grey smoke caused by unburnt fuel, not blue caused by oil. My personal view is that a fouled injector(s) leak overnight and can give a substantial puff of smoke on starting. It is not glow plug related as these have been tested and OK on cars effected, and CR diesels don't need them to start cleanly at UK temperatures anyway.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 21:14
Hmmm. We're probably talking about different generations of injectors here, mine is a black smoke, not oil. You can smell and see it EUIII not DPF from my car but only if I let it idle from cold, if I drive straight off then all is OK.
>> Hmmm. We're probably talking about different generations of injectors here,

It only effects the 2010 on EURO 5 engine. The EURO 4 version of the same engine is not effected.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 21:20
 What makes new engines burn oil? - Zero
Sounds like its over-fuelling just a little when cold at idle.
That's what I thought Zero, just a bit odd it only creeps in when the car is coming up due it's next service.
When the oil is clean no issue.
Yes, caused by a leaky fouled injector I suspect, It is totally random and can occur at low mileage <5K. Easily cured with a dose of Millers fuel additive.
OK, ON what is your commission ? What code do I quote when ordering ? :-)

Only joking...I've read a few posts and tried a few other products which do quieten her down on cold start. Maybe a dose of parafin is required. :-)
Hopefully it was fixed under warranty :).

I've done 145 miles in my car this week so it slowly getting more use.
 What makes new engines burn oil? - Zero
>> Hopefully it was fixed under warranty :).
>>
>> I've done 145 miles in my car this week so it slowly getting more use.
>
slowly being the operative word, Has the needle gone past 30 yet?
 What makes new engines burn oil? - Iffy
...I've done 145 miles in my car this week...

Pah, Stu's got a customer who does that before breakfast...and before dinner...and before tea.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=6664&m=148114&v=e
Absolutely, bill was more than £5k I seem to recall.

145 miles in a week, my Volvo did nearly 2000miles in four days last week.

I must say though, If I could get a decent 6th gear in the tank with 40mph/1000rpm there is not a car I would rather cover the miles in. 5th gear is currently at 30mph/1000rpm, on the autobahn it maxes out at 4600rpm and I still have an inch and a half of throttle to play with.

Totally pointless !
£5k !!! would have been cheaper to put a new engine in.

145 miles is quite a bit when it is all city traffic. I am spending around 90 minutes to two hours a day driving sometimes at the moment.

As for the needle, well ha! I admit it rarely gets passed 30 unless I keep the eye of the ball and creep up to 31.

The fastest I've done in the Panda is 75mph which would be probably an actual 72.

I do 40 quite often but most the zones I drive in a 20 and 30 zones.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:52
>> £5k !!! would have been cheaper to put a new engine in.
>>
No, I was quoted five figures for a new engine. Five cylinder 20v turbo.. At the time it was £1600+VAT for a cam belt change. Water pump was an extra.

I was a life long FIAT and Alfa fan but it's cheaper to run a five pot Volvo !!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:52
Aha I thought it was something with a FIRE engine it! Great engines those 24vs. I assume it was in a Coupe?
>> I assume it was in a Coupe?
>>
Yup. Fantastic car, can't wait for the next inCARnation :-)
I learned to drive in a 1975 1300 Sport SL, then when I saw the car in 1995 wanted one and was fortunate enough to be able to buy a '98 20v turbo.
As long as the next one looks like a 355 with a mix of 300bhp petrol and lawn mower/washing machine power I'll be a happy bunny...
I've always liked FIATs. I remember when my dad got his Punto when it was just two years old. We bought that to replace 10 year old Lada so it felt like a Rolls Royce. Puntos had electric windows and height adjustable seats when the same price Fiesta just gave you a bog standard radio. No airbags though :( But my dad had a massive crash in it, the car was a crumpled wrecked but we all got out without a scratch.

Even my 1.1 Panda some how often makes me smile. I might drive the 13 year old Fiesta next week to make me realise how good it is as I forget and I need appreciate as this will be the only brand new car I will probably ever own in my life and I plan to keep it for a hell of a long time yet.
 What makes new engines burn oil? - rtj70
>> I've done 145 miles in my car this week so it slowly getting more use.

I had a Panda as a hire car in Tuscany in May. I did about 370 miles and didn't go that far IMO ;-)

At least your oil level does not go up on the Panda like it does on my Mazda6 diesel... counting down to when I get my new car. In fact it is due to be built early July which is quicker than the dealer and lease company assumed. I cannot have it until October 21st.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 22:18
How did you find it? Probably quite bad compared to 6 you're used. What is your new car? I Passat as I assume as that is what you've been wanting. I think I would take a Passat too if I had a choice.

What engine did the Panda have? Could have been one of many different engines due to all the Euro 5 changes.
 What makes new engines burn oil? - rtj70
The Panda in Italy was a 1.2 petrol. Not sure of spec but it had aircon and roofbars. It was quite nice actually but under powered for hills when they were windy and you had to go slow. A lot of the area in Tuscany where we were then! So I don't recall what I calculated as mpg but it was crap. But on a slow, windy, steep road I was sometimes in second!

The Passat on order is a Passat CC GT 2.0d 170PS with a few extras like climate seats and bi-xenons. But that car would be nice to drive but on some narrow Tuscan roads, the Panda was probably better suited.

We'd hoped we'd get a FIAT 500 and some did. We didn't and we'd booked the holiday ages ago with hire car included. And maybe I could have got one. But some of the roads I went on were basically unsurfaced so felt the Panda was better suited anyway.

I can recommend a great restaurant we went to a few times in San Gimignano which was nearby. Booked two nights on the terrace months before returning :-) I have so far tried cooking wild boar once since being back but not as good as at the restaurant.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 23:19
Latest Forum Posts