Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 11

Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files - rtj70
For a few days I have an Insignia SRi Navi when my car's off the road. So for the weekend I wanted to play some MP3s. Thinking the easiest option was to write them to a CD.... and that disk was not compatible with the Navi CD500.

Next find the USB port and try a USB stick (says USB device not compatible or similar) and the Galaxy S with it setup both as a media player and mass storage device in the USB settings.... nothing.

Plan C is to use the aux-in socket but the USB stick I thought would just work? MP3s in folders and on a 4Gb USB stick formatted as FAT32.

What am I missing? With the Passat I had, copied folders of MP3 onto an SD card and it all worked.

P.S. How do you work out if it's a 130PS or a 160PS CDTi?
 Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files - Skoda
Size of the stick should be ok going on the below. Anything out of the ordinary on the stick, a bootable OS?

Only MP3 players and USB drives
with a sector size of 512 Bytes and
a cluster size smaller or equal
32 kBytes in the FAT32 file system
are supported.
■ Hard disk drives (HDD) are not
supported.
■ The following restrictions apply for
the data stored on an MP3 Player
or USB device:
Maximum folder structure depth: 11
levels.
Maximum number of MP3/WMA
files that can be saved: 1000.

goo.gl/Goktc
Last edited by: Skoda on Fri 29 Jul 11 at 22:40
The stick was just formatted (newly) to FAT-32. Single partition. Maybe try another smaller/older one.
I suppose I might check the content of my unused iPod touch and use that.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files - VxFan
Have you got the manual for the stereo? If not, how's your German translation?

www.opel-niedersachsen.de/pdf/Insignia_Infotainment_BA_08_2009.pdf

>> P.S. How do you work out if it's a 130PS or a 160PS CDTi?

Try putting the reg into www.mycarcheck.com
 Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files - corax
I think car manufacturers have been well behind the times concerning MP3 compatibility. It's been out for years, why has it taken them so long to get round to it? Same with DAB. My car has no aux input - the only thing it can do is play MP3's burnt onto CD. DAB is only an option when buying the car - retrofitting it would cost about £600. It's four years old for gods sake. It should have been standard on cars years ago. I miss my DAB stations when I'm driving.

OK I can buy a stand alone DAB tuner that sticks to the dashboard and plays through it's own speaker, but its not the same is it?
Last edited by: corax on Sat 30 Jul 11 at 11:37
Skoda right about cluster size.forced it to 32kb snd it worked. Had the ipod as backup.

Annoying it displays as a list. Doesn't seem to take folders our mp3 meta data into account.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files - VxFan
>> Same with DAB.

How good is DAB in a car? I'd have thought with constant movement of the vehicle, along with obstacles such as trees, buildings and tunnels would make for a hit and miss signal. At least with analogue it might hiss and crackle a bit if the signal is weak, but not go off altogether, unless of course they have a built in buffer to record 30 secs to a minute of broadcast to allow for signal dropout?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 30 Jul 11 at 19:56
 Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files - Ateca chris
>> >> Same with DAB.
>>
>> How good is DAB in a car? I'd have thought with constant movement of the
>> vehicle, along with obstacles such as trees, buildings and tunnels would make for a hit
>> and miss signal.

I have one of these works fine around town and even on a 500 mile trip between plymouth
and glasgow. Only place it does drop out is on M6 around the lake district as does normal
FM radio.

www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-Highway--Car-Radio-Transmitter/dp/B0012GLXMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312053851&sr=8-1
 Vauxhall Insignia - Playing MP3 Files - spamcan61
Provided the signal level is high enough (a big caveat in many places) DAB is more robust against multiple signal reflections than FM, so is less affected by trees, buildings etc, however it will have the same 'all or nothing' reception quality as Freeview TV, which uses a similar transmission method.

Can't say I've read through the DAB specifications in detail but I don't think there is buffer capability in the way there is with an internet audio stream (maybe Ford have the right idea...)
Turns out you can see the folders but it's only the folder the MP3 are in so unable to have a folder for artist within which are the album folders.

You press the 'cheap' MMI controller and it gives you the option to view the folders.

Didn't really listen to music.

Was impressed with the engine etc though. Came back on mostly A roads across Wales and it was happy at 60mph in sixth and able to accelerate okay. Had to change down for sharper corners of course.
I just checked the car as suggested by Dave above. But I suspected I knew which engine was in it from the drive back home this afternoon on winding A roads.... it's the 160PS. If it was the 130PS I would have been surprised.

Looking forward all the more to a 170PS diesel later this year. And I think the Insignia had a lot better mpg than the Mazda6 143PS too.
Latest Forum Posts