Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Jerking/bucking in first gear Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 6

Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Jerking/bucking in first gear - nice but dim
My Mazda has got worse, mainly in first when setting off normally its like it tries to stall then picks up but if you don't smooth it out with more revs and a slip of the clutch it turns in to a jerky up and down movement. Its worse in town traffic and you are constantly trying to maintain a smooth momentum without stalling as it doesnt creep in first very well. Sometimes in second in the same scenario it happens too. I was thinking of raising the idle by nipping the throttle cable and then tightening it, do you think that might help?

I should add that once you are on the move it is smooth as anything, engine, clutch and gear change wise.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Sat 21 Apr 12 at 12:09
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Jerking/bucking in first gear - Dog
Could be an air leak dimbo, with the engine idling, go around the inlet manifold and vacuum hoses with a can of WD40 or carb cleaner (using the extension nozzle) if the engine note/speed alters considerably = vacuum leak.

I'd bung some fuel injector cleaner in the tank, fit some new NGK's, and see how it goes from there.
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Jerking/bucking in first gear - swiss tony
>> Could be an air leak.....
>> I'd bung some fuel injector cleaner in the tank, fit some new NGK's, and see how it goes from there.
>>
Air leak my 1st thought also.
How long since last service, and did it have a new air filter?
Are the breather pipes clear? (can block up with a mayonnaise looking mess, if used on a lot of short journeys, and never getting to full operating temp....)
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Jerking/bucking in first gear - Zero
yeah breather pipes blocked (or split), thats would be my first port of call after I had changed the plugs and air filter.
Plugs, oil, air filter all done in last year. Im going to have a look at the pipes that make up the air inet tomorrow.
Well, thanks to all (esp Dog) it was indeed a split in the flexible air pipe from the air box to the inlet manifold. It doesn’t look like I can get a new one now and all scrapper spares will probably be rotted or split so I whipped a bit of duct tape around the entire pipe making an air tight seal and it works perfectly fine and all symptoms have vanished.
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Jerking/bucking in first gear - Dog
Glad to hear you sorted it Tim?, all you need now is some sunshine :)
Latest Forum Posts