Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - 02 2.0 starter motor change
Thread Author: diddy1234 Replies: 5

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - 02 2.0 starter motor change - diddy1234
To cut a long story short, I blew the starter motor after a fuel filter change on my 52 reg Astra.

So no problem, I ordered a new starter motor and that arrived without hitch.

My problem is trying to get the old starter motor out.

As you can imagine, access is very tight but I managed to undo all of the bolts bar one.

On the back of the starter motor are two bolts that sit in a bracket.
One of the nuts came out easily, the other though just spins on the bolt (like the thread for the bolt is knackered).

So how do I get this one out ?

Since this is the old knackered starter motor I am not concerned breaking it up to get out.
I did think about a chisel to cut the bolt down but the access is a real issue, I cannot get a hack saw in the location to cut the bolt either.

any ideas ?
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 13 May 10 at 11:08
 Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - 02 2.0 starter motor change - Focusless
>> the other though just spins on the bolt
>> (like the thread for the bolt is knackered).

So is there still some thread on the bolt that is keeping the nut from coming off? If so, can you pull the nut onto the thread somehow?
Yes there is about 1/2 inch of thread on the bolt that the nut would need to travel down in order to come off.

unfortunately the bolt just locks on the thread.

It is a shame I do not have room to get a hacksaw in there and just cut the bolt (since this is the damaged starter motor).

I did wonder if I turned the nut and bolt for long enough it may eventually undo and the bolt and nut come out from the motor.
The problem is that the bolt is the length of the motor so it is quite long.

My other idea was to get a chisel and hammer in there and break the bolt off but the turbo unit is in the way and I don't want to take that off as well.
 Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - 02 2.0 starter motor change - Number_Cruncher
Take the motor and bracket off together. You'll need to remove the bracket anyway as the stubs of the bolts from the starter pass through it.
I looked at the bracket (connecting to the back of the motor) but the bolts for this on to the engine block appear to be hidden by the starter motor.
I managed to do it in the end.

I removed the bracket at the back of the starter motor and dropped it out.

All done and dusted.

Thanks for the replies.

Now time to bleed the fuel system.
Latest Forum Posts