Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Mild CV knock on overrun
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 9

Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Mild CV knock on overrun - nice but dim
Hi guys, I have noticed a what sounds and feels like mild CV knocking but only under a certain scenario. It happens when mostly around 20mph and bringing clutch up to overrun after shifting down to second and turning slightly right. Weird it may sound, I’m thinking inner CV joint as the noise feels like its under my feet. Low speed full locks either direction don’t click.

What do you think, I guess it will soldier on for a bit but just don’t like funny noise especially as I’ve only had it since November.
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Mild CV knock on overrun - -
If the rubber boots are the type to play ball (most are) repack all 4 joints with the correct grease and fit a suitable cable tie to the boot to reseal after.

As the knock is so slight they will probably last as long as you own the car if you do a quick regrease, done similar many times with excellent results.

Whilst down and dirty check the gearbox oil level and if it needs topping up it would be an excellent time to change the gear oil too.
Thanks GB, I will ask them to look at that at the MOT. I was planning to change the gear oil anyway as I always crunch into reverse if not careful especially in the morning when it idles high. Its the first collar lift type into reverse (sits next to first gear) I've had and it feels clunky. I much prefer the non collar reverse where 6th gear should be (I've only ever had 4 and 5 speeders).
I thought I would bump this thread as its still happening. I'm currently having job interviews for workplaces 25-30 miles from my home so will need to use the car more. If an offer comes up I'm going to have my mechanic run his eyes over the car to find an hopeful fix.

The thing is that it is so hard to replicate and only does it under this scenario. 20-25 mph, on the overrun and turning mild right (e.g in to a side street or a mild right hander). Still seems to be coming from the passenger side inner joint.

At gb's advice, at the MOT they checked the inner and outer joints and no worries but I didn't have the boots off (they were and still are intact). I might as well have the offending joint replaced any way. Also I had the gear oil changed which cured the reverse crunch.

Today I had all the wheels off rotating the tyres and whilst off I checked all the suspension links for play and also checked the driveshafts. There is a slight lateral movement where it goes into the gearbox but I was told that is normal and it did that both sides. Apart from that the car drives really well.

Any comments or thoughts welcome.
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Mild CV knock on overrun - bathtub tom
>> 20-25 mph, on the overrun and turning mild right

As it's since passed an MOT and they've had a close look at the joints, I'd tend to rule that out.

I was thinking along the lines of wheel bolts/nuts, but again I'd expect them to find that at an MOT.

Did you have a good look at the tyres when you had the wheels off and has it recurred since?

I suggest swapping the wheels around, front side to side first off, then if it's still there front to rear.
It happened today since hence my bump on here. Tyres seemed ok, only scrubbed 3mm off from new last July (10k miles) and uniformly worn all over all 4. They are fairly decent tyres, Nexen Eco Blue cost £250 for all 4. I dont think its the tyres. Its quite a felt and audiable knock. I didnt draw their attenion to the joints at the MOT, they just had the normal MOT check. I suspect wear inside the joints. All nuts were well secured before and after removal.
>>They are fairly decent tyres, Nexen Eco Blue cost £250 for all 4

That's half the price I last paid for 'middle of the road' tyres for my unassuming Nissan.

I'd have a very careful look at them and consider swapping them round as I suggested. It won't cost you anything but your time and will eliminate them (or otherwise).
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Mild CV knock on overrun - No FM2R
The scenario is so specific that I wonder if something is fouling on something else?

If it was a CV joint then by now I would have expected it to become more general.
I have had a trained ear in the car this morning on a test drive and he has heard the noise. He doesn't think CV but a failed engine mount. That might be correct because I have observed (not mentioned on here) a rocking gear stick at low speeds, juddery clutch and a bit jerky at low speeds in traffic. He didn't have any time to have a look but it is going to him next Saturday so fingers crossed it might be solved.
An engine mount did cross my mind, but I would've thought it would be picked up on an MOT.

Shows you shouldn't assume anything.
Latest Forum Posts