Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 11

Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - Runfer D'Hills
My wife's petrol Qashqai took at bit of starting this afternoon. She hasn't used it for about a week but that's nothing too unusual.

Starter motor turned fine for her but it just wouldn't catch. Strong smell of petrol ( like you used to get when a carb car flooded ) Anyway, I got it going eventually simply by keeping it cranking and a combination of prayers and oaths.

Lots of exhaust smoke at first but it soon settled and seems fine now.

Theories?
 Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - carmalade
At 5 years old,I wonder if the battery is a bit weak? The starter may have sounded ok,but there may not have been enough reserve power for the electronics of the engine control system.hth
 Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - jc2
Too many short journeys-plugs fouled.
 Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - Zero
did she turn it over very briefly, couple of seconds maybe, then try again?

With modern cars, that first very short start attempt, and then trying again floods them instantly.

Had it once on mine, had it once on nicoles polo, and once on her renault. It never happens again, unless you repeat that scenario of very brief first start attempt.
>>did she turn it over very briefly

Yes, I heard her do it, her car sits more or less outside my home office window. Sounds like you might be right. Hope so !

Edit - Thanks carmalade and JC2 for your comments too !
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 29 Oct 13 at 16:40
 Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - Manatee
I think what happens is that if the engine is only run briefly, or possibly just cranked over without starting, it leaves unburnt fuel in the exhaust. The EMS then shuts the fuel off to protect the catalyst. Keep cranking and it clears and starts.

It happened several times with boy's Panda - usually after it had been cold-started, moved a few yards, then turned off.

It's a different phenomenon to the old flooding the cylinders thing when we had carburettors with accelerator pumps, where repeated prodding would make it worse and the only cure was to hold the throttle open and crank it.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 29 Oct 13 at 16:48
 Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - Alanovich
Yarss, had the same happen with a notoriously untemperamental Alfa 33 back in the day. An AA man come out and told me to stop being so silly.
I might take it out tonight ( have to go somewhere anyway ) and blow the clinker out a bit...
 Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - jc2
If it happens again,crank at WOT(wide open throttle);on most modern calibrations,it turns the injection off.
Thanks jc2 ! I wasn't going to admit it before but that's exactly what I did to get it going. I feared someone would scold me and tell me I'd killed the cat or something, but that's what used to work on old cars and it did on this occasion !

Anyway, it seems fine now ( hopefully )
 Nissan Qashqai - 08 1.6 Poor start - -
Ever had a set of sparky plugs in it, might be getting past their best.
Had new spark plugs in March GB. Fairly sure it was operator error...But I may blame something else.

;-)
Latest Forum Posts