Technical Car/Motor Issues > General Question - Bent Alloy. Repair, replace, or ignore? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 9

General Question - Bent Alloy. Repair, replace, or ignore? - IJWS14
Her front nearside tyre was soft yesterday, at 16psi instead of 33.

Put some air in it and while the compressor was doing its stuff noted a slight bleb in the sidewall . . . .

We were going to a wedding and not wanting to get my hands dirty I left the tyre to change today (Her car remained on drive).

This morning the "space saver" went on and although she says she only hit a kerb a little bit there is a definite bleb in the outside wall and a bend in the rim of the alloy on the indside.
New Hankook ordered for delivery Tuesday (to match what is on) and wondering whether it will also need a new wheel.

Have seen posts on here about bent alloys being left on the car but how much of a risk is this? She rarely exceeds 50mph.

Message to mods - why do I need to add make, model and year when it is not relevant to the question?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 01:14
 General Question - 12 1.4 Bent Alloy - Zero
probably yes, the air is probably not escaping through the side wall, but the beading on the bent alloy.
 General Question - 12 1.4 Bent Alloy - Fullchat
My brother has 2 slightly bent alloy on his motor. He lives near Micheldever Tyres and paid them a visit. Apparently they can be straightened but outsource the work. I can't remember where he said but it I think it was somewhere either Kent or Essex. £50 a wheel.
 General Question - 12 1.4 Bent Alloy - carmalade
I think these are the people you need.www.lepsons.com/
 General Question - 12 1.4 Bent Alloy - IJWS14
>> probably yes, the air is probably not escaping through the side wall, but the beading
>> on the bent alloy.
>>

It didn't seem to go down between Saturday and Sunday so she may have just lost some air when she hit the kerb. Will put the gauge on it tonight.
 General Question - 12 1.4 Bent Alloy - VxFan
>> Message to mods - why do I need to add make, model and year when it is not relevant to the question?

It stems from the other site where people didn't bother (but still applies here), and then either the question got ignored because it was so vague, or you had 10 people asking what the make/model etc was so they could attempt to answer the question.

If you don't think that it's relevant for your question, then you could have followed the instructions in the sticky at the top of the Tech Matters forum.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=14798

"If your question is a general one rather than specifically about a make/model, year/engine, then select "General Question" from the Make drop down menu. You will still need to fill in the Year of manufacture and Engine Size boxes but a moderator will edit the post to remove make/model, & year/engine details later."

I've now edited your post. Vx.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 01:15
 General Question - Bent Alloy. Repair, replace, or ignore? - Dog
I bought 4 bent alloys for a Golf I had back in the 80's, got em quite cheap actually but soon px'd the jamjar for a Cavalier SRi.
Alloy straightened (45 plus VAT) and new tyre fitted.

Apparently 4 out of 10 break when they try to straighten them.
 General Question - Bent Alloy. Repair, replace, or ignore? - Manatee
>>
>> Apparently 4 out of 10 break when they try to straighten them.
>>

My assumption is that some of the other 6 will be more or less weakened, or at least have become more brittle through work hardening. Some alloys are likely to be more malleable and ductile than others but generally it won't be known what precise alloy has been used.

Probably not a significant risk but I might stick it on the back, or make it the spare if that is a full sized wheel.
Intention is to swap front to back as the other front has less tread and she may only keep the car for another year.

Didn't get it done last weekend as she was at work so the car wasn't here.

Latest Forum Posts