Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 13

Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - VxFan
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the change up light on Fords that prompts you to change gear at the *correct* time?

I, and other colleagues find it incredibly annoying, not to mention distracting, having a light keep flashing in the instrument display when the computer thinks it's time for you to change gear.
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - RattleandSmoke
It will probably have to be done by software, but if you can get behind the dash (do you employ any midgets?) then removing the bulb could be an idea, providing the dash isn't LCD.
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - Skip
We have a 59 Transit flat bed truck where i work and everyone who drives it comments how annoying this light is. Also it is usually loaded to its maximuim and frequently towing a heavily laden trailer, but the gearchange light still comes on at the same speed/revs as it does when it is empty and there is no way you could change up at these speeds, so really it is pointless !
>> but if you can get behind the dash

Leased vehicle, and I suspect it will be an LED soldered to the PCB behind the rev counter. I don't want to start pulling things apart and upsetting the lease company.

I was hoping there was a simple way as there is to disable the seat belt warning alarm, which we've managed to do as a lot of the time the van is used on private roads at low speeds with frequent stop start situations that require hopping in and out the van.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 17 Jun 10 at 13:51
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - Skoda
Black tape over the light :-P
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - Zero
this is radical I know, how about changing up when the light tells you?
Z, I'd sooner it not come on at all.

I've been doing quite a bit of googling to see if I can find a solution, but all I can find so far is that I'm not the only one who finds it annoying, as well as distracting.
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - -
Be glad you haven't got the Vemis system as fitted to my previous (thank goodness) companies trucks.

Lights that flash for...too fast, too many revs, too sharp braking and all data sent to head office and reports sent, a normal brake for a set of lights will set all of them off and if you let the automated manual box do the gearchanges automatically which it can't the overrev light is on most of the day.

This on top of any system fitted by the truck maker too, bah.

The light system on the Tranny has been on some trucks for many years, have you tried changing up when it says on a long hill you climb regularly and comparing speed and times with higher revs to see if it can be done using low speed torque or are there not enough gears for that.
>> have you tried changing up when it says on a long hill you climb regularly and
>> comparing speed and times with higher revs to see if it can be done using
>> low speed torque or are there not enough gears for that.

The light has a mind of its own. If you take the advice of the light and change up while going uphill, it sounds like the engine is labouring and struggling. Change down a gear and the light comes back on to prompt you to change back up again. As it's only done something like 800 miles it can't be doing the engine much good. OK, its not my vehicle, but I was taught not to labour an engine, especially when it's not even run in yet.
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - MD
>>but I was taught not to labour an engine, especially when it's not even run in yet.
>>
CORRECT.
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - Old Navy
My Ceed has this gear change indicator light, it's a PITA, having driven for 40 years, Including HGV, I know how to use a gearbox.

I don't need the car to nag me when I use its performance, I have a wife for that!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 14:00
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - Fursty Ferret
Will be better once it's run in I should think. Drove one of these vans for a month last year (it had about 40k on it) and really enjoyed it. I just changed up when the light came on and found it worked just fine.

Best feature of all though was the hill start assist, you just took your foot of the brake and eased up on the clutch and it did everything for you. Normal handbrake though.
>> Best feature of all though was the hill start assist,

I disabled that through the menu options. I didn't like the delay in the brakes releasing as you were trying to pull away. ie, no matter what I tried, I could not pull away smoothly and just ended up kangarooing up the road. I'm all for gadgets, but this, along with the change gear light is just plain annoying.
 Ford Transit Connect - 10 1.8 Disabling the change gear light? - MD
Nanny state.
Latest Forum Posts