Technical Car/Motor Issues > Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 05 1.9D Oil in Coolant - Collateral Damage. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 5

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 05 1.9D Oil in Coolant - Collateral Damage. - Bromptonaut
My Berlingo suffered an oil leak into the coolant via a pinhole in the oil cooler. I spotted it reasonably quickly, while the oil was a thin layer in the coolant reservoir, and the cooler was replaced last week.

Almost immediately the thermostat failed (fortunately open). Some suggestion oil might have damaged its seals. Stat has now also been replaced and car seemsfine.

Just slightly worried about possibility of any her collateral damage eg to hoses or water pump.

What does the panel think?
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 05 1.9D Oil in Coolant - Collateral Damage. - Zero
My guess its coincidental, chance of collateral damage elsewhere minimal.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 05 1.9D Oil in Coolant - Collateral Damage. - MJM
Have a look at the header tank after a couple of weeks/few hundred miles and see if any more oil has migrated into it. If it has clean the header tank out.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 05 1.9D Oil in Coolant - Collateral Damage. - Manatee
The MX5 suffers from this - oily scum in the coolant tank. I've cleaned it out a couple of times, I thought maybe some oil had got into the water jacket while the head was off. No idea if the cause is still present or if it's still 'coming out" but there is no sign of HGF and the system passes a pressure test.

It doesn't seem to be adversely affecting it.

Real reason for posting on this - my mechanic friend had a customer who put oil in the radiator by mistake. Draining and flushing didn't stop the oily scum coming back. He was advised by a second hand dealer to flush with fabric conditioner. It was a banger anyway, and the customer must have liked the idea so he tried it. In went 2 litres of Aldi's finest. There was some sensational frothing and bubbling, but it worked.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 05 1.9D Oil in Coolant - Collateral Damage. - Victorbox
There is of course Forte Bio Degreaser: www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php?id=41/Bio_Degreaser
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 05 1.9D Oil in Coolant - Collateral Damage. - bathtub tom
I've been told dishwasher detergent's excellent for cleaning oil out of the cooling system, as it's a strong detergent and doesn't foam.
Latest Forum Posts