Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Difficulty starting/lack of power (petrol) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 3

Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Difficulty starting/lack of power (petrol) - bathtub tom
This morning I returned home from a 100 mile motorway journey. The last couple of miles were through town at 30 MPH. Stopped at a supermarket for SWMBO to collect groceries (say half-an-hour). The car was very reluctant to start and only did so when full throttle was applied and it was seriously down on power and wouldn't rev. It ticks over fine and doesn't misfire.

This is new territory for me. I suspect the problem's to do with heat soak, although I've never had any problems with the car.

I've had it eight years and it's now done 48K. I serviced it 4K ago (oil, filter, plugs and air filter) and not done anything since other than to occasionally check the oil (it doesn't use any). I last filled with petrol 200 miles ago and it's over half full.

I've no EML on, although it comes on with ignition and goes out when it (eventually ) runs. I suspect that means there's no codes stored?

Would a dodgy MAF throw up a code? TPS or stepper motor?

I'm also thinking fuel filter or even tank breather.

1. Remove petrol filler and replace to see if it's caused by a vacuum.
2. Remove air filter and check nothing's blocking the inlet.
3. Unplug MAF to see if it runs any differently.
4. Check TPS and stepper motor - can anyone tell me how please?

Anything else anyone can suggest?

I hope it's not the well publicised timing chain problem that afflicts these. I understand that produces an EML.
Update.

The EML's now on.

Not a fuel tank vacuum - don't know about the fuel filter.

Air filter and inlet look as clean as the day I fitted them.

Will barely run at all with the MAF unplugged.

I can see the inlet butterfly opening and closing when someone tries to start it.

I guess I need to get a code reader.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sun 1 Jun 14 at 17:50
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Difficulty starting/lack of power (petrol) - carmalade
If the code reader flags cam/crank synchro fault,the it looks like a timing chain issue.
What a relief, it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.

I thought I'd check out the sensors before I started pulling the engine apart and I'm glad I did. The crank sensor tested open circuit on a meter, so I swapped them over and got a cam position sensor code.

Cosy me forty quid for a new sensor, but now it's running sweet.

Money well spent on a cheap code reader.
Latest Forum Posts