Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change.
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 11

Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - FotheringtonTomas
Both sides rear are knackered. Along with the exhaust middle box, that's all that seems to need "doing".

To change - drift out outer races, pull/knock off inners, drift back on inners/outers, grease, replace drums, do up nut finger-tight, put on wheel, do up nut further until can't be done up further by hand, loosten 1/16 of a turn, secure, drive a mile or three distance, check for "just perceptible rim rock", adjust if loose, repeat check after short distance, done.

Sound OK?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 19:03
 Volkswagen Passat - 06 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - RichardW
I'd be surprised if something that new was using taper roller bearings - no evidence to back this up though! I did a google which suggested it might be a one pice jobbie with the hub bolted onto suspension arm.
 Volkswagen Passat - 06 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - FotheringtonTomas
I have looked at them. They are taper roller bearings. They are also most certainly worn - there are flakes of metal in the grease on the outside of the bearing cage (between the rollers) of both outer bearings, and pitting of both outer bearing surfaces.

There's nothing wrong with taper rollers. They are perfect for the job - although double-row ball bearings may be cheaper (no play in these, of course) and fitted in some cars.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 00:07
 Volkswagen Passat - 06 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - RichardW
Fair enuff....:-) Perhaps someone has felt a bit of play in the bearing at some time, and decided it needed a bit of tightening, hence wrecking the bearings! Procedure sounds about right, but ones I have done before have had an initial torque figure before backing off. Don't suppose there's a Haynes to shed some light?
I have no haynes. As long as the bits that need drifting on are on properly I think it should be OK.

I wonder why I'm not allowed to say "fsck" - perhaps someone isn't very compurte littriate.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 09:58
 Volkswagen Passat - 06 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - VxFan
>> I wonder why I'm not allowed to say "fsck"

Because at the time I thought you were using it to get around the swear filter.
Aha, OK, I see.
 Volkswagen Passat - 06 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - Zero
FT, is this for your car? if so isnt the title a little optomistic? 06? 1906?
Hah! Mean to press a 9, get a Zero....

Amended it for you
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 19:04
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - FotheringtonTomas
Done it, quite an easy job. Some clump had bashed a previous set of bearings out and damaged the outer race seat, which I scraped back slightly. Bearings still a good fit.

Kits came with everything including bearings, grease, nut retaining thing, oil seal, split pin, but no thrust washer, used the old ones.

£24 total for both sides from a motorbits shop. Much cheaper on e-Bay, but...
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - Skoda
>> £24 total for both sides

Makes me wish modern cars hadn't gone to the all-in-one hub idea at $$arm or $$leg per side :-(
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Rear wheel bearing change. - Old Navy
I have been told by several people in the repair trade that VAG cars have weak rear wheel bearings, (too small for the job). I have had RWB failures on several VAG cars, one picked up at the first service.
Latest Forum Posts