Technical Car/Motor Issues > SAAB 9-5 - 04 2.3 Lubricating/greasing brake calipers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 4

SAAB 9-5 - 04 2.3 Lubricating/greasing brake calipers - Mike H
I need to replace the front pads on my Saab 9-5. As it's now covered 212,000 miles I thought I might treat the pistons to a little lube. I recall a thread a few months ago which mentioned this. I'm very aware that the utmost cleanliness is required, and I'm also wary about using the wrong product. Would I just be better working them them a few times through a good range of motion, or would it be sensible to clean and lube them? I don't want to completely remove and overhaul them, just ensure they've got free movement - I noticed the old pads are a little more worn on one side of the car than the other.

I've never tried this in over 40 years of maintaining my own cars, hence the question. I'm not even sure that it's necessary, but the recent thread just got me thinking.

As an aside, I always use coppaslip on the sliding pins and the surfaces where the pads bear on the caliper.

TIA!
 SAAB 9-5 - 04 2.3 Lubricating/greasing brake calipers - carmalade
If the protective rubber sleeves that cover the pistons are intact and not damaged ,then leave them alone.Just make sure the brake calipers and sliders are clean and free to move.Copaslip or special pad grease is all you need.
 SAAB 9-5 - 04 2.3 Lubricating/greasing brake calipers - Fenlander
>>>If the protective rubber sleeves that cover the pistons are intact and not damaged ,then leave them alone.

Can't agree if you are after a perfect job. Often undamaged rubbers hide a paste of congealed hardened grease, dirt and corrosion... as was the case with the Polo I've just serviced.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 12 Jul 14 at 22:49
 SAAB 9-5 - 04 2.3 Lubricating/greasing brake calipers - Shiny
If you're going to remove them, you need to replace the seals and dust covers and they usually come in a kit with castor oil or red rubber grease.
If you want to buy red rubber grease, buy it on ebay or amazon as sellers often decant it into small, reasonably priced jars.
 SAAB 9-5 - 04 2.3 Lubricating/greasing brake calipers - Mike H
You're absolutely right, but TBH I don't really want to completely remove the piston, I was thinking more of cleaning & lubricating it in situ. I have a problem in that we only have one car now, and live in a fairly out of the way place in Austria, so I don't really want to give things the opportunity of going belly up! Besides which I have enough to do without getting into too much work beyond changing the pads. I could buy a repair set and only use the dust cover I suppose.
Latest Forum Posts