Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Landcruiser 80 Amazon - 94 4200 Are batteries knackered? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 7

Toyota Landcruiser 80 Amazon - 94 4200 Are batteries knackered? - Dave
I left the interior light on for 8 days, and of course now the batteries are completely flat.

There's 2 batteries, and the easily visible one shows white in the sight glass (knackered). I've tried charging for a few hours with an old regular charger, but so far they haven't held any charge beyond illuminating the interior/dash lights for a few seconds. The ancient charger also cuts out its internal fuse every few minute.

I can't jump start it as it's 24 volt starting, so will never go on a 12 volt jump.

Question is, is it worth trying to charge with a fancy charger (it will need to be a large one as the combined capacity is around 190Ah), or just replace both batteries. They're about 6 years old.

Toyota Landcruiser 80 Amazon - 94 4200 Are batteries knackered? - carmalade
A smart charger may revive them but could take a few days.You will need to charge them one at a time,with the battery leads disconnected.However at 6 years old they could be on their last legs.Time for new ones ??www.ctek.com/gb/en
Last edited by: carmalade on Sat 30 Aug 14 at 11:03
 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Amazon - 94 4200 Are batteries knackered? - Duncan
If they are beyond redemption. I have found these people offer a good service. No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

www.tayna.co.uk/
 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Amazon - 94 4200 Are batteries knackered? - mikeyb
Got the new battery for the Sharan from Eurocarparts. Best price, but I had to shop about - they were selling the same ones on their ebay site for less that direct on their own site, plus numerous discount offers / vouchers made it complicated, but I think I did OK in the ned
 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Amazon - 94 4200 Are batteries knackered? - carmalade
If you do decide to replace the batteries,just be careful when you order as they are different in so much as one is left hand orientatation and the other is right hand.
Well I stumped up for a pair of Tudor batteries at my local car parts place. They're not as manly as the existing pair, but they were the only ones I could get that were the same but 'handed'. 65Ah v the old 80Ah, and 400CCA versus 440CCA.

I really need to use it tomorrow, and couldn't be bothered to spend a bunch of money trying to revive old batteries. Life's too short!
Last edited by: Dave on Sat 30 Aug 14 at 18:16
 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Amazon - 94 4200 Are batteries knackered? - Victorbox
Same here. Bought an Exide battery considerably cheaper on their eBay site rather than direct from their own website! If you want a real laugh price up the identical Exide battery on the RAC website - generally 2½ times the price.
I bought a small C-Tek charger the other day, as I needed a new one anyway. I stuck it on one of the knackered batteries, and after 3 days it finally finished its stuff. The sight glass still shows black (discharged), but it's been running a 21w light bulb for the last 24 hours, so it's obviously held a modest amount of charge.

I've now connected the charger to the other battery that was originally showing white (knackered), but is now black. So we'll see what happens. I hope to maybe get something from one of them as I need a new battery for my small snow plow tractor, that spends all winter on a slow charger anyway.
Latest Forum Posts