Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Passat - 01 2.0 51 plate petrol engine ECU issues??? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Nick Replies: 8

Volkswagen Passat - 01 2.0 51 plate petrol engine ECU issues??? - Nick
Hello all.

I've got a 2001, Passat with a petrol engine & the car has generally never been right, I initially had problems with engine management in that I kept getting a warning light & after being plugged in by a friend was told that there had been at least 1 misfire,

That went away but I kept having problems with the windows & door locks operating of their own accord & I found a control box under the passengers seat which was soaked!!! I'm lead to believe this is the ECU??

Now it's quite clearly misfiring & the management light is on. I did a service & changed the plugs, still the same so I've now bought a set of ignition leads which I haven't fitted yet & am considering also buying the thing that would be, the distributor?

My question really, is can I or is it worth replacing the ECU? How would I go about this? And does anyone have any opinions as to wether I'm on the right line?

Many thanks in advance, Nick.
 Volkswagen Passat - 01 2.0 51 plate petrol engine ECU issues??? - Zero
Your soaked ECU is the one that controls lights and windows, sometimes called the convenience module, - NOT the engine. Thats a completely different one, elsewhere on the car.

You said someone "read" the cpu and said it had a misfire? Thats not a proper "read" you should be getting specific codes that tell you specific issues. There will be a code that tells you WHY the management light is on.

Whats the misfire like? is it really down on power all the time? If it is really rough and lacking power it could be a coil pack.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 20 Nov 14 at 21:47
 Volkswagen Passat - 01 2.0 51 plate petrol engine ECU issues??? - carmalade
The ecu that controls the engine system is located under the plastic scuttle panel,below the wipers.I very much doubt if this the problem.Misfires on these can be caused by a multitude of things.Check very carefully all the breather and rubber vacuum hoses for any air leaks.Also make sure the oil filler cap and dipstick seal properly.Other possible causes of misfire could be an out of range coolant temp sensor or air mass meter.
Camalade Thanks a lot mate! Good advice.
Last edited by: Nick on Thu 20 Nov 14 at 22:23
Zero,

Oh! That's what I wondered, I was starting to get the impression all these things were in different places,

The coil pack is this what replaces a conventional distributor?

Yeah t loses most of the power at times & runs like a tank but mostly it seems to do the same thing to a lesser degree?

I'm not convinced on the leads being the problem to be honest?

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by: Nick on Thu 20 Nov 14 at 22:22
 Volkswagen Passat - 01 2.0 51 plate petrol engine ECU issues??? - Zero
>> Zero,
>>
>> Oh! That's what I wondered, I was starting to get the impression all these things
>> were in different places,
>>
>> The coil pack is this what replaces a conventional distributor?

Yes

>> Yeah t loses most of the power at times & runs like a tank but
>> mostly it seems to do the same thing to a lesser degree?

if it actually feels very rough and "chuggy", like a tractor, its a coil pack. If its just "down on power" but still feels smooth it could be falling into a safe mode.

Either way you need the proper fault codes read.
SQ. No need to quote everything, when a brief summary will suffice

>> Either way you need the proper fault codes read.

What's the best/cheapest way to get that done? I saw these "vag scanner" things on e bay for less than £20 or am I better with a professional? Lol I'm an electrician & I know what my answer to that question would be!
>>
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 01:29
 Volkswagen Passat - 01 2.0 51 plate petrol engine ECU issues??? - carmalade
The biggest problem with cheap scanners is that they are likely to give incorrect and inaccurate info.So you could end up looking for fault that does not exist.Find a good local techie.
>> The biggest problem with cheap scanners is that they are likely to give incorrect and
>> inaccurate info.So you could end up looking for fault that does not exist.Find a good
>> local techie.
>> Thanks mate, probably best.
Latest Forum Posts