Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Steve Replies: 24

Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Steve
Hi. My ancient Toyota has finally croaked it. Low miles, totally reliable, and everything worked, but the Toyota gearbox problem cropped up at less than 60k miles - a £600 repair ! I'm on a tight budget so have looked at a few £1000 motors, and a low mileage 02 reg Corsa 1.2 has caught my eye. Chain camshaft, other bits simple to repair. Can anyone advise in any way.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - bathtub tom
Vauxhall?

Don't!

I was born and bred in Luton, never owned a Vauxhall (or a French) car. I wonder why..........?
Many years ago I sold a Renault 12 to an Irish chap who only wanted it for a few weeks. I explained that the clutch slipped. He bought it anyway, and 3 months later knocked on the the door and gave me the car back. Told me that he'd transported four men 60 miles a a day in it (back and forth to work) and it had never let them down. The clutch was still slipping !
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Bromptonaut
I'll be first here to say get the Toyota fettled and keep it. If everything else on it works and you know the history it's probably a better punt than a £1k Corsa.

I know nothing of the Corsa itself other than a vile courtesy car c2002 with boot too small for the eponymous folding bike. Anything in that price bracket is a a shot in the dark.

Better the devil......
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Kevin
>I'll be first here to say get the Toyota fettled and keep it.

I guess my post was too subtle for some?
>> >I'll be first here to say get the Toyota fettled and keep it.
>>
>> I guess my post was too subtle for some?

We crossed. I didn't see yours until after hitting 'post' on my own.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Kevin
If you are on a tight budget, you should be able to get an ancient Toyota with less than 60k miles but totally reliable, everything working and with a recon gearbox for about £600.
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 6 Jan 15 at 21:24
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Zero
yup - better the devil you know.
There are a few other thing to consider, the least of which is the fact that it's worth £150 scrap, collected. (I've checked). I'm getting a bit fed up with it now, after 10 years of boredom and relentless reliabilty. Would anyone recommend my present choice of a Corsa for a runaround. Or any other suggestions for around a grand.
Oh if you fancy a change too then that puts a different cast on it. My view was simply in terms of how best to keep a set of wheels.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - zippy
Ex wife had an 03 1.2 Corsa SXI from new (a work deal it was nearly half price).

She liked it. It was nippy, you could see all four corners. Gripped well in corners.

I liked driving it but the ride was hard and you may really notice this comming from a Toyota.

Every Vaxhaul that I have owned (not the Corsa) has had gremlins, all of which have been fixed by the dealer eventually. I would therefore recommend avoiding an old one.

Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Duncan
>> I'm getting a bit fed up with it now, after 10 years of boredom and relentless reliabilty.
>>

Buy a Vauxhall, or a French car, that will not be boring with its relentless unreliability.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - VxFan
>> Buy a Vauxhall, that will not be boring with its relentless unreliability.

Remind us again what piece of crap you drive and we can ridicule that too.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Victorbox
Check the Corsa's service history - regular oil changes will stop timing chain getting noisy. Check for wet carpets in front footwells - mastic seal around pedal bulkhead panel sometimes leaks. Oil pressure switch at front of engine can leak but will be obvious. Does electric power steering feel even side to side. 2002 - so no ABS to worry about and too early for loose camshaft bolt problem in 2005 model year. Go to one of the Corsa owners websites where there is tons of advice.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Robin O'Reliant
Mrs O'Reliant has had her 51 plate SXI for eighteen months now. No real issues though the N/S footwell can get a bit damp but not in any worrying way. Whether it does or not depends on which way the wind is driving the rain.

She loves it and all in all it's quite a pleasant little car to drive.
Lot's of negative views about the Corsa. (Webwide) I'm going to look at in a Mazda Demio !.3 on Saturday. I know that Mazda is linked with Ford, but the Mazda user reviews are all very positive.
I don't know how to create 'links' but it's in Gumtree Southampton edition, under ..er cars ...er Mazda.
It's a cheapo runner, but any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by: Steve on Thu 8 Jan 15 at 22:21
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - John Boy
This one?

tinyurl.com/m4yzx9g
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Focusless
>> I don't know how to create 'links'

Just copy a web address (URL) from your browser into your post - the forum software automatically makes it into a clickable link.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Victorbox
>> Mrs O'Reliant has had her 51 plate SXI for eighteen months now. No real issues
>> though the N/S footwell can get a bit damp but not in any worrying way.
>> Whether it does or not depends on which way the wind is driving the rain.

N/s wet is usually where wiring loom enters bulkhead behind plastic box next to battery.
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - car4play
My wife's mother is selling her very low mileage corsa (09). I shall be asking for more help pricing it on the ad section once I get some more details. I think it only has 5.5K on the clock, dealer serviced etc. It is over your £1000 budget though.

Basically her eyesight isn't up to driving anymore ;-(
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - bathtub tom
I found this site gave realistic prices, free ; www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/used-car-prices/
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - car4play
Thanks BT
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Fullchat
My mate at work had a 3 year old diesel Corsa which was accruing mega mileage. Started running like a bag of spanners (just out of warranty). Fuel injection components all gone through, no joy. After some negotiation with Vauxhall, main dealers had a look and the ECU was found to be suffering from water ingress. Apparently it is positioned under the bonnet in not to good a place. New ECU fitted at cost. Still noisy on start up. He was preying someone would nick it. Next best thing, someone overtaking from opposite direction forced him of the road. Wrote the car off and he got a good price. Nearly killed him though - not that he actually sustained injury.
Now proud owner of a Clio.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 12 Jan 15 at 12:23
Just an update. I eventually bought a 2003 Peugeot 206 Look. Low miles, one owner. £800
Although advertised as a private sale, the seller admitted that he was a dealer. Full main dealer service history. The last entry in the service history was the usual main dealer stamp, overwritten by 'cam belt change'. I checked the history with the dealer who confirmed everything apart from the last service. No record of it at all. The dealer was able to confirm that the belt - unknown to the seller, was changed during a previous service. Beware !
Last edited by: Steve on Wed 28 Jan 15 at 22:51
 Vauxhall - 02 1.2 Buying - Dave_
Sounds alright to me. A friend has just scrapped her much-abused, battered and mistreated '02 206 at 150k miles, after owning it for 10 years. She's replaced it with... a 307.
Latest Forum Posts