Technical Car/Motor Issues > Peugeot 406 - 01 2.0 air con and cooling fan Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 5

Peugeot 406 - 01 2.0 air con and cooling fan - TheManWithNoName
I used my air con today and noticed it was quite noisy. Every minute or so there would be a noticeable hiss through the air vents. The air was cold however.
The engine cooling fan was also kicking in for all of 4 or 5 seconds before turning off again. It was repeating this every minute or so. The engine temp was normal and in all the years I've owned the car I've never heard the cooling fan activate. Any ideas what might be causing this?
 Peugeot 406 - 01 2.0 air con and cooling fan - Zero
Usually, every time the aircon kicks in, the cooling fans should start to force air through the condenser. Sounds like its working properly to me.
 Peugeot 406 - 01 2.0 air con and cooling fan - carmalade
A hissing noise heard when the a/c is switched on ,is an indication that the a/c gas charge is low.Get the system checked by a good a/c indy.
 Peugeot 406 - 01 2.0 air con and cooling fan - Bromptonaut
>> Usually, every time the aircon kicks in, the cooling fans should start to force air
>> through the condenser. Sounds like its working properly to me.

IIRC that was case with the Xantia (which is the 406's non identical twin). But the fan ran constantly at low speed with aircon on, very occasionally eg in French summer temps the A?C called for full fan - sounded like an ATR42 at take off.

The cutting in/out described in OP is corroborative of carmalade's low gas suggestion.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 28 Apr 15 at 21:30
Thanks for the replies. I'll get my Indy to check it out.
1 virtual pint on its way,Carmalade. Low gas diagnosed. Pressure tested and re-gassed for £60. They added UV dye so I'll go back in 2 weeks and theyll check with a uv light for any leaks.
Latest Forum Posts