Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT
Thread Author: shiraz nut Replies: 21

Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - shiraz nut
I cannot understand how Toyota can build in a fault that could be fatal. The handbook identifies a warning signal that the clutch has overheated and the car must be brought to a stop to allow the clutch to cool. This happened to me after after coasting down a hill (in gear) for 1.5 miles. When stopped, the transmission automatically reverts to Neutral and will not select for 10-15 minutes. This suggests that the clutch is slipping when the engine is taking the strain of the transmission. I don't feel inclined to undertake a journey with a lot of hills. The car is 1 year old with 8000 miles.
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - Zero
so how is this "fatal"?
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - swiss tony
>> so how is this "fatal"?
>>
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=1966

simple things can cause major issues....
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - Skoda
Doesn't sound like normal behaviour?

Although is MMT Toyota speak for CVT?

There were a spate of VW DSG (the dual clutch auto) boxes which were stopping for the same reason but it was a faulty temperature sensor.
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - VxFan
MMT - MultiMode Manual Transmission

www.toyota.co.uk/bv/About_Toyota/glossary/MMT.html
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - -
Somethings not working right, it's a manual gearbox with an electrically operated clutch which should either be engaged or disengaged, could you detect clutch slip.

As an aside has anyone ever found one single plus point that makes an automated manual worth buying.
>> >> so how is this "fatal"?
>> >>
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=1966
>>
>> simple things can cause major issues....

Oh perlease. That makes traffic lights fatal because people have to stop at them .
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - shiraz nut
I don't fancy losing drive on a steep hill or on the motorway because the gearbox decides that it wants to become 'Neutral'.
>> I don't fancy losing drive on a steep hill or on the motorway because the
>> gearbox decides that it wants to become 'Neutral'.

I still don't get how this can be "fatal"?

You say that a warning light comes on and the car must be brought to a stop to allow the clutch to cool. On a steep hill you have gravity to help you keep moving, and on a motorway you'll have enough time to pull over safely on the hard shoulder.

You also mentioned "When stopped, the transmission automatically reverts to Neutral and will not select for 10-15 minutes." That sounds to me like Toyota have a built in safety system to prevent the gearbox selecting neutral until you've come to a stop. ie, you have time to pull over safely with no risk of neutral being automatically selected.

Ultimately though it sounds like there is a fault with the car, and you should take advantage of the 3 yr warranty to get it sorted.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Jul 10 at 00:28
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - madf
Posting about a car with a warranty issue which the maker has not had a chance to solve seems pointless...
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - Disappointed
It happened to me and I assure you depending on where it happens it could be fatal! You want to try it?
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - bugsy
shiraz nut - Same problem (twice now), just 4000 miles on clock first time, bailed out by French road services (to Toyota garage that could not find a fault), second time, recognised the issue and pulled off the road for 20 minutes. Just 4500 on my clock - car purchased brand new in 2009.

You are correct, that excessive gear change brings on the problem. It does not like undulating roads or hills. I found that maintaining a constant motorway speed seemed to avoid the fault, but that's not the answer

A year ago I challenged Toyota (following so many call backs, mine included twice), they ignored me.

I will be challenging them again, as I stated before (to them), this car and the likes are death traps waiting to be fulfilled!

This car is off the road until I get answers, hope you do the same.

Amasing, that I worked for Toshiba, we employed Toyota quality systems for many years, now Toyota have not only cut corners (2 anti kill mods already), but wish to inflict personal damage with their gearbox.

Suggest Toyota start to reply?

PS:- Told the torque conveter fins inside are sticking and causing the converter to overheat. However, this is yet to be confirmed.

Stay lucky, stick to short distances until Toyota come clean!
cheers
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - sherlock47
>>>Told the torque conveter fins inside are sticking and causing the converter to overheat. However, this is yet to be confirmed.<<<

Somebody somewhere is getting confused or does not understand what is involved. MMT tansmission does not have a Torque converter!
Seems my previous post was blocked, lets see it this one gets through?
Answer blocked again! I need to find a different conduit.

Toyota Auris (dual). death trap!
Remove that Mr Car4play!
Whatever are you on about? You say that you can't post, but clearly you can.
Look at the time of posting.. and work out why it makes no sense.
madf, rather than question my suitability to post, why not dwell on Shiraz Nut's original question? Why does the clutch overheat (quoted by Toyota in their Auris handbook Page 391-392)?
I quote from page 392:

Do not keep driving up a hill at low speeds.

Do not start off and stop repeatedly on an uphill.

Do not use the accelerator pedal or starting assist system to hold the vehicle on a hill

I'm guilty of the first, as I'm no boy racer!

As for your question re: Time of posting, previously from Bermuda, and currently from France.

As for Toyota, they have finally confirmed receipt of my claim (after numerous emails). I have suggested the car is a death trap (loss of clutch within seconds of warning light), previous issue both confirmed by traffic police and Toyota garage in France (who couldn't find a fault, but then they have since agreed, by the time they received the car, the clutch had cooled down and they were not aware of this problem), they are now!

Toyota have since refunded my breakdown fee of 150E (despite the fact that I was 2 months our of warranty). What next eh?

My claim is in for £20K plus £30K for danger money (whilst in the UK forces, we were paid 30% plus for working overseas in dangerous areas), I think driving a Toyota Auris Auto is a dangerous test for the living, give it back to the test dummies!

I notice that they are advertising a new Auris model. I wonder if page 391-2 are part of the deathtrap deal?

So madf - If I drove around in my Ferrari like a madman (as those clowns in Japan), I would expect some agro, as it is:-
Ford Granada 3Ltr Ghia Auto -0 to 150000, no issues through it's life.

Mercedes 250CL - 0-98000, no issues through it's life.

Ford S Capri 2000 - 27000, no issues through it's life.

Always kind with the gearbox, never had a clutch change in 40yrs of driving.

So Boss, give me a break man!

cheers

>> My claim is in for £20K plus £30K for danger money (whilst in the UK
>> forces, we were paid 30% plus for working overseas in dangerous areas), I think driving
>> a Toyota Auris Auto is a dangerous test for the living, give it back to
>> the test dummies!
>

30K for danger money? Jeez what a loon. Where do we find people like you. You are spouting rubbish my man.
I take it this is a wind up as it makes no sense.
 Toyota Auris - 09 1.6 MMT - Disappointed
I had no warning!
Latest Forum Posts