Technical Car/Motor Issues > Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs.
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 15

Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Badwolf
Hello all,

My Megane has just failed the MoT. It needs brakes all round (discs and pads I presume as the tester said that the brakes were worn down all round), a new back box, the emissions sorting as they were apparently high (the tester mentioned the lambda sensor) and a new driver's side headlight bulb, which I knew about anyway.

The garage have quoted me about £300 to do all this - is this a fair figure?

Thanks in advance.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - -
If thats a definate 300 incl vat it's not a bad price Baddy though if it's pads only without discs then not so good (pads £50ish the lot?), worth checking, free retest too presumably?

Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - L'escargot
Will the parts be genuine Vauxhall?
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Zero
I hope not, they may have to hammer them a bit to fit.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - FotheringtonTomas
Sounds OK if they're replacing the components you mention - to check, you could get a price from HiQ or National or somewhere to check.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Badwolf
Thanks for your replies folks. Even your slightly left-field one, Snaily ;-)

The price is for discs and pads, so I don't think it's too bad. Ok, it's a price for cash and I won't get a receipt for the work done but as I plan to keep the car for at least another couple of years then part-ex it I don't think that's a problem. Well, not to me at least!

It's a good thing that we both get free bus passes as a perk of my job - Mrs B now has to get the bus to work while I'm using her car!

Cheers all.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Victorbox
>> The price is for discs and pads, so I don't think it's too bad. Ok,
>> it's a price for cash and I won't get a receipt for the work done

Trouble with cash in hand is if they mess up you have absolutely no come back.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - madf
Cash for fixing your brakes?

You must value your life at £50 then.

There are times when it is plain stoopid to save money.. imo this is one.

I cannot believe it...
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - -
>> Cash for fixing your brakes?

It's a cash job for obvious reasons, there's no cause to suppose the job would be completed any differently or with lesser quality parts than if it was repaired at the Reno dealer and a bill for £950 to stuff up his shirt.

Baddie is no fool, i doubt he's getting it done by some itinerent bodgit and scarper, using parts from dubious sources.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Old Sock
Sounds a good price to me - assuming that 'about' doesn't prove too large....

The rear discs have integral bearings which pushes their price up a fair bit. I think you can get them without, but transferring the old bearings can prove tricky. The fronts are more conventional.

The emissions may well be 'sorted' by the new back box. Air getting in at this point can cause a high lambda figure to be reported by the gas analyser - even though the engine fuelling is correct.

There are two lambda sensors - I'd recommend the genuine article if replacement is needed. The cheapo 'universal' types can be of variable quality, and their heater current may throw a fault code.

If the catalytic converter has expired (not as common as people make out), then that £300 may be threatened!
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Bellboy
If the catalytic converter has expired (not as common as people make out), then that £300 may be threatened!
>>>.
>>>>>>have to take issue with that statement im afraid
lots of cats are now failing due to age bad fuel but more importantly poor maintainance a cat can be killed in a day if the system has overfueled
i see people quite often who are proud their idiot light on the dash has been on ages but ther car still runs (better known as an engine management light)
you cant get into them overfueling kills cats or a plug off due to poor maintenance will do the same thing
see my thread regarding mot failures up to something like 37% now
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Old Sock
I'm not saying they don't fail, bb - just that it's easy to jump to conclusions.

Similarly, as I mentioned, a high lambda reading during the emissions test does not automatically condemn a lambda sensor.

I have two cars - a 1993 Mercedes W124 with 175k on the clock, and a '99 Volvo S80 with 168k. Both have their original catalytic converter, and both were well within limits at their last MoT test.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - Collos
As pointed out this price cannot include new rear discs if it does they are working for nothing.
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - barney
hello just to ask if you or anybody could let me know of how to contact renault about the reported faults on electronic handbrakes on scenics
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - DP
www.renault.co.uk/ownerservices/customerservice.aspx
 Renault Megane II - 03 1.6 Repair costs. - VxFan
Barney, it might be useful to have this as a separate question as it's a different car. Let me know the year of manufacture and I'll move it.

Welcome to C4P, by the way. VX - moderator.
Latest Forum Posts