Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Corolla Altis - 07 2.0 Tink noise from offisde front wheel
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 7

Toyota Corolla Altis - 07 2.0 Tink noise from offisde front wheel - nice but dim
I've started to hear a tink type noise (imagine a hammer hitting a chisel) from the offside front wheel (driver side right) when coming off the gas in first and allowing the car to return to idle in gear engine braking. It only happens once if it does do it.

Is the sound of a failing wheel bearing or CV joint? I will be asking someone to investigate shortly but though I would ask here. Something has been getting noisier/rubmly of late though cant pinpoint it down to tyres, brakes or the above. There isn't the typical knock knock on full lock.

Last edited by: nice but dim on Wed 15 Jul 15 at 09:58
 Toyota Corolla Altis - 07 2.0 Tink noise from offisde front wheel - No FM2R
Engine mount?
 Toyota Corolla Altis - 07 2.0 Tink noise from offisde front wheel - nice but dim
Thanks Mark, I wouldn't rule it out. After 8 years and almost 90,000 miles they wont be in the first flush.

Been trying to pinpoint by ear, and it will be impossible to replicate by being lifted up.

Imagine driving to 5-10mph in first and then suddenly lifting off the gas. The full weight of the diving engine braking results in the "tink or ping" (the best way I can describe the noise)

It doesn't affect the drive but I'm trying to avoid that sort of movement in traffic.
 Toyota Corolla Altis - 07 2.0 Tink noise from offisde front wheel - No FM2R
It doesn't sound like CV joint, bearing or any of that, I'd be looking at a mounting affected by shifting weight.

Engine, wishbone, anti roll bar, exhaust etc.

Can you feel it, or just hear it?

If you can feel it, then try to recreate it in different gears at higher speeds, since it may just be that it is drowned out by other noise.

If it is only first gear, then that may be related to the fact that the engine may move more because of the impact of the gearing of first.

You probably would not be able to recreate that force when standing still by heaving and pushing.

If it is as slow as 5mph, can you not trot by the car while someone else drives? Perhaps on a bicycle? (right location time be safe blah blah H&S) Perhaps you could at least work out if it was one side or the other.
Not felt, just audibly. I've noticed it as I've been having the window down in the car in this 'lovely' weather!
 Toyota Corolla Altis - 07 2.0 Tink noise from offisde front wheel - Fenlander
>>Engine mount?

... and exhaust joint/hanger, driveshaft, multitude of suspension joints, steering joints, loose wheelnuts... a multitude of things.

Check for engine mount by getting someone to look at the engine as you load it up as if to take away but with the handbrake on.... see if rocks excessively and/or makes the noise.

Similarly for exhaust issues by having someone listen as you do the on/off power as above.

Check for most of the rest by jacking up the front wheels in turn (plus support in case jack lets go) and trying to rock them and the suspension with hands at 12/6 o'clock then 3/9 o'clock.

Driveshaft check by clamping mole grips to the driveshaft each side just inboard of the suspension and trying to turn to/fro a little and seeing if the noise is replicated.

OK so it's more involved than that but those basic checks will soon see if something major is about to fall off.

Edit: Thinking more most things suspension/drive associated are more of a clonk, clack or rumble/knocking. Loose exhaust bits do make a ting.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 13:23
Thanks for all that, gives something to go on. Getting my mechanic to stand next to the car while I demonstrate will be the next best option.

Will advise if we find what it is.
Just to put a bit of closure on this for now. I've not really noticed the original issue for a bit if i remember. There is a slight hint of the noise for a split second if I reverse under load or a quick set off with the turbo spooling.

I know it will need a new DMF in the next 18 months so will take it from there, its not really causing that much grief and I've learned to drive round the issue.
Latest Forum Posts