Technical Car/Motor Issues > Honda Accord UK - 05 2.2 Slipping clutch - cause? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Statistical Outlier Replies: 7

Honda Accord UK - 05 2.2 Slipping clutch - cause? - Statistical Outlier
Okay, so I realise that at 99k miles "it's worn out" is the stock response.

But. Most of the time it shows no signs of age at all. Engages smoothly, and works as well as new. Occasionally though you can put almost no power through without the revs soaring.

Doesn't matter what gear (well, have tried 3rd-5th when it's happened on reasonably fast roads), and a couple of minutes later it's all fine again and even holds fine through hard overtaking.

Given I had a new master cylinder for the clutch about 1k miles ago, could this be something to do with it? Or is the obvious correct and I need to just grit my teeth and stump up for a new clutch? It's the 2.2 diesel in case that's not obvious.

TIA, Gord
Last edited by: Statistical Outlier on Sun 28 Feb 10 at 22:41
 Honda Accord UK - 05 2.2 Slipping clutch - cause? - Zero
was the clutch slipping before the master cylinder work?

Nope, not once. The master cylinder was replaced because it was squeaking and apparently had a small leak - was sorted under extended warranty.
Last edited by: Statistical Outlier on Mon 1 Mar 10 at 12:06
 Honda Accord UK - 05 2.2 Slipping clutch - cause? - FotheringtonTomas
Sounds to me as though something's been knackered by or fitted wrongly during the change.

Try: thaoc.ipbfree.com
 Honda Accord UK - 05 2.2 Slipping clutch - cause? - Zero
yup it sounds like its sticking now and again.
FT, useful link, there are multiple problems with the Honda clutches as it turns out.

Spoke to the garage, they have been thoroughly helpful so far. If it is any of the known problems then it will be repaired free courtesy of Honda, if not then I'll need to stump up for a new clutch. Fingers crossed the DMF isn't involved...

The garages record makes me think them honest, so fingers crossed.
Got back from a work trip today to a fixed car.

Apparently there was "a problem with the clutch cover, which meant about 40% of the plate wasn't engaging correctly". This necessitates a new clutch, which was fitted while everything was off the car. The question of who pays has yet to be settled.

I'm going to argue for a significant contribution if there was a manufacturing fault that shortened the life of the clutch. What do you lot think? The car is under the extended Honda Happiness warranty.
The service manager called me today. The clutch has been covered on the Honda extended warranty. Well, all except the oil, the release bearing and 0.5 hours work. Total of £113 to pay.

I'm pretty happy, I think that's a good deal given the car had done 99k miles and I've got a brand new clutch and new oil, which has smoothed the shift.
Latest Forum Posts