Technical Car/Motor Issues > SEAT Arosa - 02 1.0 EGR valve cleaning
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 7

SEAT Arosa - 02 1.0 EGR valve cleaning - J Bonington Jagworth
Fault code (and uneven idle) suggests this is furred up and I wondered what best to decarbonise it with. I haven't removed it yet, but I suspect it will be a bit black after 13 years!

Any thoughts? I would normally go for paraffin, but might need something stronger...
 SEAT Arosa - 02 1.0 EGR valve cleaning - VxFan
Carb cleaner?
 SEAT Arosa - 02 1.0 EGR valve cleaning - Dog
>>Carb cleaner?

Es correcto: autorepair.about.com/od/regularmaintenance/a/Cleaning-Your-Dirty-Egr-Valve.htm
Thank you, Dog (and Vxfan). I'd heard that carb cleaner was the thing, but I also remember there was a strong carbon solvent that used to be used commercially to decoke engines, in the days when that was a regular requirement. Can't remember the name, though, and it may have long since disappeared...

I managed to remove the valve - the one on the Arosa/Lupo is water cooled, which probably makes it more prone to furring up, and it was certainly well clogged. Unfortunately, I couldn't separate the actuator from the body, and there's limit to how much carbon you can shift with a Q-tip! A long dunk in a suitable solvent should do it, though, so I'll try again when I've found a suitable quantity. It seems to be stuck in the closed position, so it shouldn't affect day-to-day running, although I'd quite like the light to go out!
When I was in the car tuning game, I used to find STP carb cleaner was far superior to any of the other makes, inc. Wynns. Y'all can still get it on eBay etc. but I doubt if it's the same formula as I used to use in the previous century ... Thanks to the EU = FU!

:}
Might be an idea to take the valve assembly to a garage which has an ultrasonic cleaner:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EiZITysTzA
 SEAT Arosa - 02 1.0 EGR valve cleaning - Zero
>> Might be an idea to take the valve assembly to a garage which has an
>> ultrasonic cleaner:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EiZITysTzA

remarkably cheap now, and very handy around the home.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultra-Sonic-Timer-Cleaning-Basket-Plastic-Steel-/181490058417?var=&hash=item2a41a684b1
"remarkably cheap"

A lot less than a new valve, that's for sure!

tinyurl.com/oa5tsoh
Latest Forum Posts