Technical Car/Motor Issues > Hyundai Trajet MPV - 04 1.9 Hyundai/Kia Buying / Selling
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 9

Hyundai Trajet MPV - 04 1.9 Hyundai/Kia - wotspur
Last year I bought a Trajet, with 71k on the clock for 850, yes it was a bargain despite needing some gear box work, which cost 1,200 and last week, a steering joint broke which meant another 500 job, so yes I've spent 2,600 but I've done 10k in the 6 months I've had it, and the van I used to hire would have cost the same.....?i hope to run it for the next 3 years, into the ground.
I don't need an expensive flash/ new car, nor does my wife.
Her Scenic is now 14 yrs old but with a looming mot, it's not worthy of spending £400 on keeping it on the road.
I'm considering another Trajet or smaller and was told to consider a Kia......is there much/ any difference in these models and whatever other makes similar are worth considering,don't want to spend more than 1,500, as she doesn't do more than 4,000 miles a year, but it needs to be largish, mini or mpv
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 10:27
 Hyundai Trajet MPV - 20 1.9 Hyundai/Kia - Falkirk Bairn
I will say it before someone else - Berlingo!

Cheap, spacious & lots about (some are money pits) but @ £1500 you pays your money and cross your fingers.
 Hyundai Trajet MPV - 20 1.9 Hyundai/Kia - wotspur
Falkirk thanks for the idea , I showed Swmbo a Berlingo, she hated it .

Saw a 55 Kia yesterday, looked good, low mileage, affordable, but there was some obvious rust over one arch......so I'm still looking, going to see a Aedona this pm
Think I'd prefer a Hyundai, but a Kia AFAIK is basically the same animal under a different banner
 Hyundai Trajet MPV - 20 1.9 Hyundai/Kia - Alanovich
Don't rule out Ford Galaxy/SEAT Alhambra/VW Sharan. Also FIAT Ulysse/Citroen C8/Peugeot 806/7. Robust and reliable.

Shouldn't this thread be in the General Motoring section?
 Hyundai Trajet MPV - 20 1.9 Hyundai/Kia - nice but dim
I'm not sure how much space she needs but the Hyundai Matrix looks to offer similar levels of space and practicality and smallish petrol engines so will be cheapish to run. They looked to give a slightly elevated driving position. Should be falling over them at that price range.

Wouldn't bother with a diesel engine at that age/expected mileage you will get.
A couple,of,weeks ago, my car wouldn't start, so I called the AA out who sorted it out, and I bought a new battery, well on an 04 it was the original one, and all was fine.
This week, it's been really struggling to turn over , I checked that everything is turned off that I can think of, heater radio lights etc, I've also noticed it's a little sluggish in acceleration, are the problems connected ? And what's the possible cost implications......many thanks
 Hyundai Trajet MPV - 20 1.9 Hyundai/Kia - Bromptonaut
Assuming the new battery is not a dud then either:

(i) the alternator or it's wiring not doing the job properly

(ii) something is draining the battery - an auxiliary item not switching off correctly

I'd start by investigating (i).
Thanks for the advice, is there a tester to machine that might be able to ascertain what might be able to tell what if anything could be draining it.
 Hyundai Trajet MPV - 20 1.9 Hyundai/Kia - VxFan
>> is there a tester that might be able to ascertain what might be able to tell what if anything could be draining it.

Multimeter connected between battery and +ve connection on current measurement setting - n.b. with engine and everything else switched off. You will get a small measurement if you've got an alarm.

Also, using the multimeter, check the battery voltage is somewhere between 13.8 and 14.2 volts with the engine running (no other electrical items switched on). If it isn't, then the alternator isn't working properly.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 10:33
Thanks for all the previous comments.......couple of other issues.
When I'm on normal low speed roads , there is no problem, but when I go , where I can go over 60 , there's a noise,come from the front, that makes a noise, similar to cycling down a hill with the brakes fully on........
As a non car person, I reckon it might be the fan not going round and air being forced thru .......any suggestions on what this might cost, or any other thoughts,

Also the speedo is unpredictable in its workings , I use my Tomtom anyway for speed limits, but again, is this an easy , cheap repair ??
Many thanks for any suggestions
Latest Forum Posts