Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving
Thread Author: ToyotaYaris04 Replies: 11

Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - ToyotaYaris04
Hi,

On friday evening i went and put some petrol in my car (wasn't in depsertae need but that is just when i fill it up) where i usually go and then drove her home and the car was fine. about an hour later i was driving her and sitting in traffic for a while on a steep hill and as i was driving her up the very steep hill she suddenly stopped whilst driving (2nd or 3rd gear about 27mph) i restarted her and the dash and lights were on but the engine wasn't going. (SRS light, battery light, oil light and warm engine light appreard) but she started then after the third attempt and drove home fine. that night i was driving home again and she stalled whilst driving on flat road. took three attempts for her to start. it happened yesterday (sunday) again whilst driving. this time i came to a stop to let traffic past on busy road and she just stalled and later that night whilst driving her out of the driviway she started and drove about a foot, then stopped and it took 2 attempts to start her again.

Checked oil; it has oil. i did give my fathers 1.6 Renaukt scenic a jump about a week ago though if that makes any differnce. she drives fine with no strange noises but just suddenly seems to lose power.

Do you all have any idea what it may be?

Thanks.
 Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - nice but dim
What colour was the pump handle that you filled the car from?
 Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - ToyotaYaris04
Is was the green capped pump. Wasn't me that filled it in. It was the attendant.
 Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - nice but dim
>> Wasn't me that filled it in. It was the
>> attendant.
>>

Are you sure you aren't Lud trolling!

Ok, so right fuel. Al maybe on to something with the thermostat idea if its cooling related or another faulty sensor. I would have the car codes read and tested professionally. I've been guilty in the past of trying quick fixes but a decent code read will highlight the failing component or area.

Are you saying it is overheating, are they any symptoms of overheating? How long after stopping does the engine restart? Maybe it is allowing a start after sufficent cool down?

Head gasket?

The fuel fill thing might be a red herring.
The car was drove for about an hour with no problems (though an anxious drive) I then went to class and she cooled down for about 1.5 hours and then when I went to start her up in the carpark the electrics turned on but not the engine itself didn't (if that makes sense) she then turned on second try seconds later.

When she does stop it starts within a minute afterward but not on first go.

The blue termostat used to always come on when I turned the engine on and would go away after about twenty minutes of the engine warming. But for the last week or so it never comes on now. The SRS light and red thermostat light show when turned on and when she shuts of whilst driving.

Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - VxFan
>> the dash and lights were on but the engine wasn't going. (SRS light, battery light, oil light and warm engine light appeared)

Any warning lights on while the engine is running?

Have you looked into getting it connected up to some diagnostic equipment to see if it can throw any light on what's wrong?
When I start the engine up the SRS light and Warm engine light comes up but after 10 seconds goes away. The car did it last night again, first it wouldn't start on first turn of ignition and secondly I was driving down a hill and noticed that the SRS light and the warm engine light came on, then the battery light and the yellow oil light came on. The headlights were still on, as was the dash and radio but the engine itself stopped. No buzz or noise at all from the engine. It simply just cut out. But I do think I smelt some smoke but then the engine started fine and It drove home fine after that. No strange noise or feeling different whilst driving. It simply stops and then starts up again after second turn of ignition (usually)

Sorry I said warm engine light. I meant red thermostat light.
 Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - Alanovich
Similar symptoms on a Mazda 6 2.0 petrol turned out to be a dodgy thermostat. Replacement cured it.
 Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - Zero
Disconnoct your battery, clean the terminal posts, all the battery connections, smear them in vaseline, and tighten everything back up again.

With all this stalling, funny warning lights and intermittent starting issues, Sounds to me like you have caused a dodgy connection when you did the jump start. Or you have knackered a cell in the battery.
 Toyota Yaris - 04 1.0 Car is stalling/cutting out whilst driving - sherlock47
My thoughts went the same way as Z. But I would also say look at the 'other' ends of the battery cables/earth strap(s) for corrosion - unbolt and clean as he suggests.
I got the car serviced and the mechanic said it was an ignition coil failure that caused the stalling so I'll have to get a replacement for that.

Thanks for all your advice and help.
Latest Forum Posts