Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights
Thread Author: - Replies: 15

Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - -
Righto, the 57 reg pick up came with one n/s reversing light so my sparky mate added a couple more which are a brighter 2 x 55w just after delivery, put a good floodlight on the road behind, they are mounted under the rear bumper and are wired in with the normal light so come on when reverse is selected.

MOT in 2 weeks, will they pass or should i remove them.

I don't need educating in the why's and wherefore's just considered opinion as to their passability please.

edit, it's not a Vigo, thats a grey import made in Thailand, UK spec Hilux's are made in South Africa.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 9 Aug 10 at 20:47
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 57 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - Zero
Well, they dont meet construction and use regulations, but I suspect they should pass the MOT as long as they only come on in reverse. Certainly nothing in the MOT manual about them. - Nearest is that lights should not show white to rear except in reverse.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Aug 10 at 20:28
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 57 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - Bellboy
WAS GOING TO PUT WHAT ZERO SAYS
I CAN ONLY ADD ITS POINTS I BELIEVE IF YOU DONT HAVE THESE AUXILLARY LIGHTS WIRED SO THEY ONLY WORK WITH IGNITION SWITCH OUT (IE ENGINE OFF AND STATIONARY)
sorry about caps a mistake/im sure scouselad and someone else would disaprove but im off to watch bbc1 now
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 57 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - Number_Cruncher
Yes, they aren't a part of the MOT.
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 57 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - -
Thanks gentlemen, didn't want to disturb the connections though Bob would have made them well.

What's the points situation that BB referred to...BB you don't really watch the state broadcasters propaganda channel shirley?
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 57 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - Runfer D'Hills
Chap I know, ( lives quite near you coincidentally GB ) has gert big Cibies mounted on the top of the roll cage of his Defender pick up. When he's on the public road he faces them backwards and tells anyone in a uniform who asks what they are doing there that they are auxiliary reversing lights and that any suggestion that they are for bunny lamping etc is nonsense......

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Mon 9 Aug 10 at 21:16
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 57 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - -
>> Chap I know, ( lives quite near you coincidentally GB ) has gert big Cibies
>> mounted on the top of the roll cage of his Defender pick up.

They wouldn't last long the speed swmbo goes through barriers mere inches higher than the truck, scares the hell outa me, and she now likes the look and the spec of the Toyota Tundra.

Purely out of interest did some long distance towing at the weekend took a car to Nth Wales on a big trailer, probably just uner the extremely low 2.2t towing limit.

Averaged 24.9 mpg over 450 miles including fetching trailer from mate which i was pleased with, how does that compare to regular towers i wonder...maybe a fresh thread needed.
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - L'escargot
According to this ..................

www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_19.htm#nsch14requirementrelatingoptionalreversinglamp ..............

(a) If the lights bear an approval mark, there is no maximum wattage requirement.
(b) If the lights don't bear an approval mark, the maximum allowable wattage of each light is 24 watts.
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - Bellboy
the only thing i can find is that total permitted wattage is 24 watts maximum for reversing lamps under construction and use
whether this still applies i dont know as all laws seem to have bogged down in 1989
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - Zero
>> According to this ..................
>>
>> www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_19.htm#nsch14requirementrelatingoptionalreversinglamp ..............
>>
>> (a) If the lights bear an approval mark, there is no maximum wattage requirement.
>> (b) If the lights don't bear an approval mark, the maximum allowable wattage of each
>> light is 24 watts.

Thats the construction and use regulations, not the MOT. They are not the same and often dont match in many respects.

It will pass an MOT as long as they only come on with reverse.
Sounds OK for MOT anyway thanks all, i'll report back, i daresay it sounds like we're likely to blind anyone behind, it's not like that at all, the lights are small auxilliary driving lamps and they are angled well down.

The original 1 single n/s reverse light was useless, couldn't see at all to reverse down our steep driveway which is taken at a offside curve and ends in the flat parking area at the front of our gaff.
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - jc2
I've always used indicators to reverse down awkward driveways!!
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - Bellboy
i use my foglights
that way you dont have a i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/i can see now/dark/

oops what was that bang then situation.........
fido??????????
......fido?????????????
.............fido?????????????????
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - 07 3.0 MOT and reversing lights - VxFan
>> I've always used indicators to reverse down awkward driveways!!

Why not drive in and then reverse back out when its daylight? :o)
Had too many years of struggling with artics in unlit places and no reversing lights of any description let alone fog lights at either end, the old stuff didn't have hazard flashers either.

It all culminated in a 1.30am journey through a village where they'd managed to park opposite each other, not wanting to fetch people out of bed, which i should have seeing as it could easily have been a fire engine needing to get through.
Had to reverse about 2 miles in pitch dark along a twisty country lane with an artic, took all the lenses off the back of the trailer seeing as it didn't have reverse lights, but luckily rear fogs which made it possible.

As for reversing up the slope Vx, swmbo leaves black lines in the block paving going up forwards, it'd be a scene from Ashes to Ashes every morning..;)

Passed with no probs.

Incidentally Northampton Toyota dealer was happy for me to supply my own oil which reduces the bill a lot, so 3rd year service plus MOT test £147, plus free coffee bikkies and pleasant staff, and the motor got a valet incl interior.
I'm sticking with them.
Latest Forum Posts