Technical Car/Motor Issues > Hyundai i10 - 14 1.2 Access for oil change, removal of under-tra Miscellaneous
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 7

Hyundai i10 - 14 1.2 Access for oil change, removal of under-tra - busbee
Before changing the car's oil and filter, is it necessary to remove the under-tray. The tray is a 3mm, or so, thick sheet of black plastic covering underside of the car, but only a front section. It is there for reducing road noise, as much as anything, for which it is very effective.

The front of the tray is held up by two push-in 'plugs' which go through it into holes that are part of the bodywork. The plugs have a central screw that turns to expand it after pushing it in. Thus each plug is easy to put in and take out.

My bodywork holes have broken and the car-servicing place tell me I need a new bumper. Which means, all of the car metalwork at the front below the headlamps. (and will cost a fortune, no doubt?).

I can see two possible improvised alternative solutions. But what I can do, depends on whether the tray has to be removed each time there is an oil change.
 Hyundai i10 - 14 1.2 Access for oil change, removal of under-tra - sooty123
It depends on how large the undertray is and where the sump plug and filter are located. Some need them removing, some not.

Go to another garage and see if they can replace the retainers.

Most kiwk fit type places just tie wrap them back on each time. Or some people just take them off permanently.
It was a specific question about a 2014 i10 1.2 SE. Nothing else. Except for this car, I have always changed the oil change myself. I now use a garage. I just want to know if they will need to undo my fixings. And no, I don't want to go to a garage. I am asking on here.
 Hyundai i10 - 14 1.2 Access for oil change, removal of under-tra - sooty123
Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed ! :)
 Hyundai i10 - 14 1.2 Access for oil change, removal of under-tra - VxFan
>> I have always changed the oil change myself. I now use a garage.
>> I just want to know if they will need to undo my fixings.

Some garages use suction to extract the oil rather than the old method of draining it out. You might want to ask around a few places to see which method they use. No need to remove the belly pan if they're going to suck it out.
 Hyundai i10 - 14 1.2 Access for oil change, removal of under-tra - bathtub tom
I believe the tray will need to be removed to change the oil filter.
That is what I was concerned about. Looking from inside the bonnet I can't see it nor from underneath using a torch & mirror, but car not jacked up.
 Hyundai i10 - 14 1.2 Access for oil change, removal of under-tra - slowdown avenue
thought the under tray had a pop out flap to acc
ess the oil plu g get under and look
Latest Forum Posts