Technical Car/Motor Issues > Skoda Octavia II - 08 1.9 overboost Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 7

Skoda Octavia II - 08 1.9 overboost - devonite
Whilst trying to overtake yesterday, I dropped the car into D3 (sport mode), as i got passed the car suddenly lost a lot of power, I had it checked by the garage when I got home, they plugged it in and said the waste gate valve failed as it was reading 1.3 bar and it should be 1.0, this was putting it in limp mode. According to Google, overboost should give the car more power! have they diagnosed correctly - confused!
 Skoda Octavia II - 08 1.9 overboost - Bromptonaut
Sounds similar to trick my 2.0 Hdi Xantia used to pull. Foot down and it'd hesitate and 'gag' before putting engine management light on.

In theory you'd think overboost would give more power. OTOH if quick thinking ECU detects a fault and cuts power to limp level you'd get symptom described.

I'm no techie. It's just a thought.
Thanks for the thought! -no lights came on tho, couldn't get above 50 and was screaming up hills in second gear at walking pace! ;-(
 Skoda Octavia II - 08 1.9 overboost - Rudedog
I guess this is a TDi?

As far as I know VAG diesels don't have waste-gates but use the VNT family of turbochargers to control boost pressure.

As the vanes in the turbo move they affect the available pressure, if their movement is restricted due to carbon or soot then they stop working on full power and go into limp-mode to save the engine.

The codes will more than likely show as 'over boost' (sorry don't know the actual code number), plus you don't get any lights on the dash but can be reset by turning the ignition off then on.

Often related to EGR issues and using a fuel with low cleaning additives.

Choices are either replacement of the turbo or some companies offer a cleaning service, this is the classic situation on YouTube where you see home mechanics using the 'Mr Muscle' oven cleaner sprayed directly into the turbo to clean off the carbon with varying results.
Last edited by: Rudedog on Sun 14 Oct 18 at 10:50
Ooh - don't like the sound of it being turbo related! - wouldn't think it would be carbon tho, as for the last 3 months I or more I've been sticking Millars eco-max in it at every fill up.
 Skoda Octavia II - 08 1.9 overboost - Zero
>> Ooh - don't like the sound of it being turbo related! - wouldn't think it
>> would be carbon tho, as for the last 3 months I or more I've been
>> sticking Millars eco-max in it at every fill up.

You can chuck as much gunk in it as you like, unless you have been giving it some welly and exercising it, you will be wasting your time
 Skoda Octavia II - 08 1.9 overboost - sooty123
Sounds about right to me, if there's a fault anywhere along the line it'll shut down to limp mode.
 Skoda Octavia II - 08 1.9 overboost - carmalade
Very likely to be sticking vanes in the turbo. Try this; reviveturbocleaner.com/
Latest Forum Posts