Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Micra - 01 998 Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed do Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 5

Nissan Micra - 01 998 Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed do - Chris S
I can hear a spinning noise when I press down the clutch pedal on my 2001 Micra. Does anybody know what it is please?

I don't think it's the release bearing. I did a Google search and that would cause a spinning noise when the pedal is up.

This is an old car with about 6 months MOT left on it so it's not worth taking to a garage.
 Nissan Micra - 01 998 Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed do - Zero
Its almost certainly the release bearing, Either way, a new clutch kit will fix it.
 Nissan Micra - 01 998 Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed do - VxFan
>> Its almost certainly the release bearing

Wot he said. Unless severely worn, as soon as any load is placed upon it (i.e. foot on clutch pedal), it'll start making a noise.
 Nissan Micra - 01 998 Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed do - No FM2R
If the bearing is fully disengaged, when the foot is off the pedal, it should make no noise, since it should not be touching the clutch and not spinning.

Whereas when you are pressing the clutch it will start spinning and thus start making a noise.

It will make a noise when the clutch is fully released if the bearing is still touching the pressure plate and thus spinning a bit, and then it can make quite the whiny, tinny spinning noise.

The reality is that there are not many bits in a clutch which spin *only* when the pedal is pressed. In fact, I can only think of one; the release bearing.
 Nissan Micra - 01 998 Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed do - Chris S
Thanks - the bearing only makes the 'tinny spinning noise' when the pedal is down so it shouldn't be too much of a problem in the short-term. I don't know why I can suddenly hear it though!
Last edited by: Chris S on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 13:24
 Nissan Micra - 01 998 Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed do - No FM2R
They can last a fair old time after they start making the noise. The problem is though that it will go and it will fail catastrophically in that you will have no clutch at all. Can be a problem far from home.

My experience is that they get pretty damned noisy before they fail completely though.

Don't ride the clutch, don't rest your foot on the pedal, don't hold it in gear when not moving, no racing, wheel-spinny starts, all that stuff.

If it's only got 6 months left in it, I'd just drive it 'till it breaks, which may well be more than 6 months.
Latest Forum Posts