Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Primera IV p12 - 03 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft?
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 6

Nissan Primera IV p12 - 03 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft? - Skoda
I've never heard of a cracked driveshaft and google's not giving any concrete examples either.

The car's a 2003/53 Nissan Primera Estate, ugliest car ever? It's given sterling service so far, never needed anything other than serviced (which it always has been on time). It's on about 65k miles now roughly.

It was in for a service + MOT and main dealers have reported this cracked drive shaft and given a quote to replace it. Only thing i could come up with was:

a) ask the dealer if there's ever been any service bulletins or recalls for cracked driveshafts on this model

b) ask how they determined the driveshaft was cracked

The answer to a) was no, b) was by hitting it with a hammer, the sound was very dull, but no visible cracks.

They've been instructed to go ahead and change it but save the removed drive shaft for inspection.

Hitting the driveshaft with a hammer isn't in the service / inspection guide, is that an MOT thing?

Have you ever heard of this kind of thing?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 30 Oct 10 at 17:46
 Nissan Primera IV p12 - 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft? - Bellboy
ive heard of driveshaft problems on primeras and think the tapping is a good way to determine whether it does have a crack that could result in a shear situation
of course it could also be a good way of upselling
 Nissan Primera IV p12 - 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft? - FotheringtonTomas
>> Have you ever heard of this kind of thing?

I've heard of a complete break, but not a crack. It's hard to see how ringing it would work in situ.
 Nissan Primera IV p12 - 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft? - Zero

>> The car's a 2003/53 Nissan Primera Estate, ugliest car ever?

No, the 5 door variant is streets ahead in the ugly stakes. Horrid thing.
 Nissan Primera IV p12 - 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft? - Skoda
Thanks guys. Something not right with the drive shaft right enough. Cracked? I don't know, but the other option is some kind of manufacturing defect but it's been in use for ~7 years so probably not.

Cleaned up and there's still nothing visible. Filled up with water last night and sealed, opened this morning and all the water's still inside. Could try with something a bit thinner but i'll leave it at that.
 Nissan Primera IV p12 - 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft? - Collos
Am I missing something what have you filled with water.
 Nissan Primera IV p12 - 2.2 dCi Cracked Driveshaft? - Skoda
>> Am I missing something what have you filled with water.

Ahh, on these cars the outer CV joint is replaceable seperate from the drive shaft. It slides into the driveshaft where it has female splines and the CV joint male splines. I figured the problem was most likely at this end because it would be the weakest (i think).

That doesn't seem to be the case according to the Nissan forums though, their diagnosis is there's some kind of damper band (not visible on this one) at the inner CV joint and the drive shaft normally splits there.
Latest Forum Posts