Technical Car/Motor Issues > Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 12

Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - Stuu
My speedo has started, in the last two weeks to under-read. I noticed something was amisss when I went past one of those 'Your Speed' boards they strap to lamposts and I was doing an indicated 30, board said 33. Strange I thought, last time there was one up, doing the same indicated speed it said I was doing 28mph.

So, knowing my sat nav had agreed with the previous speed boards, I strapped that on the car and just went for a drive.

Originally, my car would at ind 30 be doing 28 mph and at ind 70, 67 mph.
Now at an ind 30 its doing 32/33 and at ind 70, 73/74 mph.

I know its not a big change, but it would be quite easy to drift up to 35 ( and a ticket ) so Im glad I spotted something was amiss ( id also noticed I was getting a few more miles to a tank of fuel too ).

Any clues what could cause the speedo to do such an about turn with its accuracy? Ive never experienced anything like it.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - Zero
Is it electronic or cable speedo?

Assuming electronic: Tyre size, gear ratios, Sender problem, sender/speedo head wiring problem. IN no order of likelyhood.
Tyres and gear ratios havent changed so... must be electrical then. Its cable so far as I can tell ( theres a tube which seems to go from back of dashboard directly into top of gearbox ).
Ive read that the sensor can go funny although usually with more dramatic symptoms ( which may be on the way presumably ).

Is it OK to leave it? My Garmin sat nav is accurate and you can set it to act as an easily readable speedo so ill stick that in the car incase.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - Zero
As long as you are aware of its inaccuracy and it doesn't get any worse then its fine. Its never going to fail an MOT on an inaccurate speedo.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Oct 10 at 21:36
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - Bellboy
could ber diff duff
sell sell sell............
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - RattleandSmoke
Its nice to see somebody else has replaced me as being the forum member with the problem cars :).

Stu when you replace it make sure its another old banger as we need the enternainment. Modern cars are just no fun as they work.

I had a Fiesta which had a wobble on the speedo, it was caused a faulty bearing in the gearbox.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - swiss tony

>> Stu when you replace it make sure its another old banger as we need the
>> enternainment. Modern cars are just no fun as they work. get repaired under warranty, then scrapped early due to uneconomical repair costs...
Unlike you though Rattle, I wait until theres an actual problem before throwing money at it
;-)

As and when ive spent £13k ( the minimum id need for a brand new 2.0 saloon of questionable image ), mock me then.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - Cpt. Flack
I had one of these when they first come out. Had problems from the start which were sorted out under warranty.
I don't see many on the roads now. IMO, scrap it.
Hell no, you seen the quality of £400 cars right now with prices sky high? Its in better nick than 90% of whats out there.
True its a rarity now, only sold for two years. Who on earth scraps a car with tax and MOT, tut tut, the idle rich strike again ;-)
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - Dave_
>> Its nice to see somebody else has replaced me as being the forum member with the problem cars :)

Hey I've got a problem car too, but as long as it keeps going I just put up and shut up with the rumbly wheel bearing, crunchy rusty sill, possible MAF sensor failure and nagging doubt about the age of the cambelt ;)
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - RattleandSmoke
If the MAF was anything like my Corsa when it failed that must be pretty dangerious. Nothing worse than trying to cross a major junction and nothing happens at all at the throttle. If it just a slight hesitation then I guess its easy to live with.

As you get older people seem to be a bit more forgiving about minor faults. My dads car is full of faults but apart from a bit of welding it passed the MOT with flying colours and we just have to keep it until it breaks. It isn't going to get its oil change this year as its just not worth spending any more on a rusting car.

Its only done 8000 miles since the last oil change so I am sure on an old banger it is not going to cause any problems. Still £850 and 30,000 done by mostly my dad but some by me miles not bad for a 'rattle car'. On the rare times I do drive it I ignore the clunky suspension and am always surprised how smooth the clutch and gear change still is.

I am not against old cars at all, if you don't have much money a good old banger is brilliant, in fact I hope to let my Panda become an old banger one day as I don't intend replacing it. I've owned five cars in nearly four years and that is five too many!.

Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 Speedo that suddenly under-reads - swiss tony
>>> I am not against old cars at all, if you don't have much money a
>> good old banger is brilliant,

Old bangers are great!
scratch in the carpark? 'oh well, what's one more ha ha!'
heated seat stops working? 'never mind'
running costs? lower than a new one - service it on a rolling schedule. oil change this month, air filter next, plugs after that...
residuals? worth £500 last year, £450 this, £400 next....
environment? think of the energy used in, designing, prototyping, testing, building a car - probably that's the same as 5-8 years fuel burnt, by running a banger you are on the way of offsetting carbon use!

downside?
has to be crash protection. But, that way you drive can reduce the chances of a crash, and by buying a larger car than you could buying new can also help offset that.
Latest Forum Posts