Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 long time to warm up
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 4

Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 long time to warm up - mikeyb
The Mrs trusty Sharan has always been very slow to warm up from cold - TBH its a bit of a pain in the winter cos it takes so long, and I have noticed that sometimes the temp gauge rises to operating temp (90) quickly and then falls back to zero again and may do this 2 or 3 times before it settles at 90 where it will then stay for the remainder of the journey. it has never gone past 90.

Yesterday I started up and realised I had left something I needed at home so pulled back on the driveway and popped back in leaving the engine running. When I came out 30 seconds later the cooling fan had kicked in so I wonder if this is related to the long warm up time?

Has anyone any suggestions what would cause the fan to kick in so quickly when still cold?

PS I did check the the a/c was off!
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 long time to warm up - Iffy
Is there plenty of coolant in it?

In older, simpler machinery, the temperature gauge sender could give a false reading if it was not fully dunked in liquid.

Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 long time to warm up - Dave_
Sounds like an air lock in the cooling system to me.

My '01 Octavia (same engine) used to take a good 10 miles to warm up to 90, but once at 90 the needle would stay there all day regardless of outside temperature, vehicle load, or traffic conditions. Never had a cooling system problem in over 250k miles.
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 long time to warm up - mikeyb
Iffy - i've never touched the coolant - its been on the max line since day 1 and has never moved.

Hadn't considered an airlock - how could I tell / remedy
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 long time to warm up - Collos
I very much doubt that you have an air lock but to check and cure isto run the engine with the expansion chamber cap off any air will come out as soon as the stat opens.More than likely a faulty temp sensor or faulty thermostat.
Latest Forum Posts