Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 22

Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - Runfer D'Hills
My Mondeo estate has started to do a strange thing. It releases the tailgate whenever you start the engine. So, once the engine is running you have to get out and shut the tailgate. Then it stays shut for that journey. There is a way around this which is to lock the doors from the inside before turning the key and this prevents the tailgate from opening so it's no big deal yet anyway.

I suspect a bewitched microswitch in the tailgate locking mechanism. Any other theories ?
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - VxFan
Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery (make sure you've got the stereo code first) to see if it might reset the electrics?
Good thought Dave. I'll try that this weekend. Something at the back of my mind tells me that it's good practice to leave it disconnected for a few minutes or more to ensure all the current has ebbed away ?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 19 Nov 10 at 10:24
>> Something at the back of my mind tells me that it's good practice to leave it disconnected for a few minutes or more to ensure all the current has ebbed away ?

Someone once told me when I had my Mk3 Cavalier to touch the +ve & -ve leads together to discharge any residual current left in the system. Make sure both leads are off the battery terminals though before you do it.
OK thanks, I'll let you know if it results in a new hairstyle !

:-)
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - bathtub tom
>>Make sure both leads are off the battery terminals though before you do it.

Why? I would've thought that as long as one is disconnected, it's isolated.
>> Why?

No idea. Just repeating what was told to me. Maybe it's because one lead isn't long enough to reach the other if it's still connected to the battery post but taking both off means they're long enough for them to meet in the middle. It was a long time ago and I can't remember if one of the leads was long enough or not.
Well, it has to be worth a try. I'll disconnect the battery and get my wife to put her wellies on before instructing her to touch the two leads together. Just in case you understand ! If it doesn't do any harm, she'll be none the wiser, if it does, I can blame her and swear I didn't ask her to do that and if it gives her a shock, well, her wellies should provide enough protection. Can't see a downside really.

Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - Phil I
>her wellies should provide enough protection

As a further precaution Mrs.D'Bout should wear your Marigolds.

HtH
Phil I
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - carmalade
Disconnecting the battery will not fix this .hth
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - madf
>> Disconnecting the battery will not fix this .hth
>>

so what will?
Thanks carmalade. I'm sort of sure I need a new microswitch. Did you have a theory other than that ? For a bit more flesh on the thing it only seems to happen when it's cold weather. Not sure if that's a clue ?
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - corax
Something in the latch mechanism not going through it's full movement and confusing the microswitch maybe? My rear offside doorlock wouldn't open when pressing the remote in cold weather, seems to have sorted itself out now. Maybe you need to get some lubrication in there.
Done the WD40 thing. Cured it for a day or two but the problem has returned.
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - carmalade
On my tailgate the plunger on the microswitch had got stuck in which I guess is acceptable service after 150k miles and 9 years of continual use.If I recall ,the part is fairly cheap at around £20 and comes with new rubber pressure pad.hth
Thanks carmalade. Similar timescale oddly enough. 2002 car with nigh on 200k. Can't really blame it.
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - bathtub tom
>>Done the WD40 thing. Cured it for a day or two but the problem has returned.

Doesn't that indicate where the problem is?
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - rtj70
My Mondeo hatchback (2003) one morning refused to close the boot properly. I went that morning to the local Ford dealer and they decided it needed a new lock mechanism. Because it would not lock at all (or latch) they kept it inside until fixing it on the Monday morning.

Maybe some WD40 would have sorted it but as soon as it went wrong I took it to them.

I have no idea what the cost of repair was or whether a cheaper repair was possible. It seemed to be a known fault.

I wonder if the cause is similar? Mine being a hatchback and yours an estate.
I imagine the microswitch is the same or very similar. Didn't get around to doing anything about it this weekend. Ah well, there's always next week...
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - Fenlander
My 2001 Ghia Estate had a similar issue. Sometimes when you shut the tailgate it latched only to unlatch a split second later... almost as if the shock/vibration of being closed triggered the microswitch to open it again. It could take 3 or 4 tries before it would catch for good.
 Ford Mondeo III - 02 2.0d Tailgate Gremlin - ed86
sounds good
Seems alright now. I did give it a stern talking to though...mentioned scrapyards etc..

Latest Forum Posts