Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Wipers, Snow and now not self parking.
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 8

Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Wipers, Snow and now not self parking. - Redviper
Hi All
I think I have broken my wipers, I cleared about a foot of snow off the car this morning as much as I could the rest was iced onto the body work.
I removed as much snow from the wipers and surrounding area as I could the rest was heavily compacted into the various traps around where the wipers sit.

Anyway There was still about 3 handfuls of snow that had come down from the roof as I was clearing it, didn’t see it has much of a problem and hit the wipers on.
Anyway it was a problem and the wipers went halfway up the screen and stopped. I switched off moved more offending snow (its still snowing) and tried again now its intermittent what they do its either

• Stop in the position they got stuck in when switched off
• Stop for a while and then move again when wiping
• Park slightly above the normal park position.
• Don’t stop when I cancel the wipers using the stalk (IIRC)

What have I done! Is the damage fatal, and is it going to be expensive.

I know im stupid, for letting it wipe a couple of handfulls of snow.

Many Thanks
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 09:52
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Wipers, Snow and now not self parking. - Iffy
I'm no expert, but I've 'wiped' accidentally a few times when the blades are frozen to the screen and there's been no harm done.

I take it you have turned the wipers off and removed the ignition key for a minute or so to give the electrics a chance to reset?

It could be the wiper arms have slipped on their mounting spindles, but that would only make them park and sweep oddly.
Hi thanks for your reply
The car is now in the works car park, so will have to investigate tonight afterwork, but will have been sat all day with electrics off.
I really hope it is, just small "bug" that will reset - becasue new motors and linkages dont come cheap.

The have been stuck in the ice/snow before and they where ok I really hope this hasnt finished them off.
I really wish I had got the bus now, I dont like driving in snow/ice at the best of times.
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 12:48
...really wish I had got the bus now, I dont like driving in snow/ice at the best of times...

Might be an idea to get the bus home, assuming the Vectra is securely parked.

Yes its a good Idea -
Ive left the car here for upto a week before, over the course of a year when Ive been down to Bristol and it will be fine its been snowing really heavy this afternoon so I might consider getting the bus home.

...its been snowing really heavy this afternoon...

Not sure I wanted to hear that.

Very little fresh snow on the County Durham/Tyne and Wear border.

Just been out for a walk and it's not icy, more like packed slush on the side roads, slushy black mess on the major ones.
>>
>> Not sure I wanted to hear that.

Sorry - it seems to have stopped now though, apperantly we even had thunder this morining and on the way home im sure it was hail or at least heavy snow.

Back on topic -

Went to the car this evening and again cleared of the snow, wipers got stuck again however when the went back down they seemed to have worked fine - and they seem to be ok now
Apart from when the park they seem to jump up a millimeter or so eg they go down, park and then move up ever so slightly - which i suppose i can live with at least they dont stop in the middle of the window - I shall keep a eye on it though
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 20:08
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Wipers, Snow and now not self parking. - Victorbox
Might be worth putting a spanner on nut under each wiper arm cap and checking both are properly tight as this will push arm tightly down on spindle splines. Probably a 10mm spanner. Perhaps wipers appear to be jumping because the arms are not fully gripping the spindle.
Thanks Victorbox, I will have a look at that as soon as I can.
Latest Forum Posts