Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Leif Replies: 9

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start - Leif
My car will not start. Last night it was fine when I moved it from the main road to the public car park. This morning the engine turned over, but it would not fire. The garage across the road are snowed in (scuse pun) with work. They suggested pouring boiling water over the engine, so I used some hot water, but do good. Looks like I will have to wait for the garage to find time to look at it. Any ideas? The last time I had a car do this it was because the engine management unit had gone. This time I'm hoping it is the cold. It is a bit below zero here.

This may be related, but it has been stalling recently. On two occasions when I drove 20 miles to Bracknell, it stalled a few times when at lights, and lots of times when going round roundabouts, but only on the big dual carriageway through Bracknell, not near home. It has only once stalled elsewhere during several weeks. So I did wonder if there might be something odd about the dual carriageway through Bracknell ...
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start - Dog
These are good for testing for a spark, you only need 1 but - they're sold in 4's ~ tinyurl.com/26nhwxk

If there is a spark, I'd stick some NGK plugs in the critter.

>> These are good for testing for a spark, you only need 1 but - they're
>> sold in 4's ~ tinyurl.com/26nhwxk
>>
>> If there is a spark, I'd stick some NGK plugs in the critter.

Thanks. Are you saying that the symptoms are consistent with dicky plugs?
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start - Dog
>>Are you saying that the symptoms are consistent with dicky plugs? <<

No friend, it's just that if the car engine 'turns over', then it's good to ascertain whether the problem is ignition or fuel related,

I used to be a mobile car engine tuner and often found a new set of NGK's would work wonders for most cars!
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start - Number_Cruncher
In my experience in the workshop, I've had good results by binning the rubbish NGKs and fitting some proper Bosch plugs!

However, rather than fixing the problem by spurious poke and hope, you need to find what's wrong.

You need all the ingredients of the 4 stroke cycle to be in place before the engine will run, so, you need to be sure of the availability of;

- a free passage of inlet air in
- fuel being injected
- adequate compression
- a good spark
- a free passage of exhaust gas out

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the ignition on? Does it run while you are cranking? Is the engine turning over quickly? Is there a spark? Is (are) the cam(s) turning?
Thanks for all the helpful answers, and the clarification. The local garage managed to take a shufty, and a jump start got it going. Basically the battery was too weak, no doubt partly worn out, and partly the effects of cold. They are putting in a new battery. The old one is ten years old. I am thankful this did not happen away from home and that an independent garage is 2 minutes walk away, and they were able to look at it.

Thanks again.
Sorted. And if anyone lives near Beacon Hill Garage, in Hindhead, I can recommend them.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start - Zero
Tip, don't move to Hindhead till the tunnel is finished!
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start - VxFan
>> The old one is ten years old.

In an 8 yr old car? Was it 2nd hand when fitted?
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 02 1.3 Won't start - jc2
Doesn't explain why it kept stalling tho'.
Latest Forum Posts