Technical Car/Motor Issues > BMW 3-Series E46 - 02 2.5 Steering Clonk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 9

BMW 3-Series E46 - 02 2.5 Steering Clonk - Pezzer
Hi folks, when I reverse out of a parking space with right hand down and when I am at full lock towards the end of the manouever I get a clonk from the nearside front wheel. Can anybody advise what might be causing this please ?

many thanks
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 02 2.5 Steering Clonk - Bellboy
boilers jointerusk i would hazzard a guesk
boilers jointerusk = Ball joints ?
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 02 2.5 Steering Clonk - -
Or wishbone bushes worn, car on ground with handbrake applied try to roll the car both ways by turning the front wheels by hand (rolling motion, not rocking as if checking for a worn track rod end), it's quite surprising how far the wheel will move in the arch when the bushes get bad, they eventually start knocking when completely shot.
So a few hundred quid later and i have my MOT, bushes and lower control arms changed on the front and tracking checked (apparently). So the turn-in now is taking me a bit by surprise (it may be an indication of how poor it had become) however the steering now feels peculiar in a straight line. There doesnt seem to be any directional stability and the steering seems to 'wobble' when crossing the white line in the middle of the road it doesnt feel planted. Any thoughts please folks?
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 02 2.5 Steering Clonk - Skoda
>> and tracking checked

I think this is likely to be the culprit. Excessive toe out ?

The bottom arms control camber too (there's a cam'd bolt goes through the locating eye), and as far as i know tracking just means checking the toe values (might be wrong, but would appreciate if someone could point it out if i am!). Dodgy camber could manifest itself as the tramlining over the white lines i think. I think it would be more likely to show up as weird response turning in one direction vs. the other. Might be making that up.
Skoda thanks - I think you may be right as thinking about it I've only 'noticed' the turn-in on left turns, will see if it is the same or not t'other way.
Update: I became so concerned I took it back to the garage. They looked at it and apparently the o/s bush that they fitted had collapsed and they immediately replaced it. Not driven anywhere yet but hopefully that should sort it.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 02 2.5 Steering Clonk - corax
>> Update: I became so concerned I took it back to the garage. They looked at
>> it and apparently the o/s bush that they fitted had collapsed and they immediately replaced
>> it. Not driven anywhere yet but hopefully that should sort it.

Did they fit genuine bushes? Strange for a new solid rubber bush to collapse. Your car should feel great with new front wishbones - if you're still not happy, then maybe take it somewhere else to check the tracking. The car can sometimes feel a bit strange after adjusted tracking until the tyres have 'worn' back in to their new setting.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 02 2.5 Steering Clonk - Number_Cruncher
>>Strange for a new solid rubber bush to collapse.

They aren't solid bushes*, but, yes, it does indicate a certain level of ham fistedness.

* or at least the original ones aren't - aftermarket ones could be anything!

Latest Forum Posts