Technical Car/Motor Issues > Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stevek100 Replies: 7

Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - Stevek100
This will sound strange but can shock absorbers fail without there being any leakage of oil. On this car the ride has always been "firm" but lately after driving about 5 miles the suspension seems to be both hard and also bouncy at the same time. I know this seems silly as it should be one or the other but that is the effect. It is bouncy because I can see the headlight beam moving up and down more that it should and if there is a unsmooth road surface I feel that as well.
I am thinking reak shock absorbers. Nothing is broken underneath. Tyres correct pressure, wheel bearings seem Ok so these are not the issue I think.
Any comments welcome.
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - L'escargot
Shock absorbers lose efficiency by weaing internally.
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - VxFan
>> This will sound strange but can shock absorbers fail without there being any leakage of oil.

Are they gas shocks though?

And if so, then maybe some or all of the nitrogen gas has leaked out.
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - Skoda
Yeah they can definitely fail without visible leaking.

The bounce test is about the easiest way to tell if they're shot on the driveway - bounce each corner in turn and it should spring back up then settle with no further bounces - but you're describing failure scenario so closely it could go into the next Haynes manual :-)

I think some garages have facilities to to a drop test which works on roughly the same idea but never seen the equipment or seen the procedure.

When the front shocks on the Golf went it didn't feel safe on the motorway, hard to control, so they were changed quick sharp. The rears went not long after, best way i could describe it was it made you feel ill as you drove along.

EDIT: Damn, Skoda's are supposed to beat Vauxhalls at everything ;-)
Last edited by: Skoda on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 17:53
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - L'escargot
>> I think some garages have facilities to to a drop test which works on roughly
>> the same idea but never seen the equipment or seen the procedure.

Many many years ago I allowed the front shock absorbers on my car to be tested with a drop test carried out by a shock absorber manufacturer. The front of the car was dropped from something like 18". For some reason the bonnet had to be open. Never again ~ I thought the bonnet was going to part company with the car body!
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - -
The front of
>> the car was dropped from something like 18".

I wouldn't want that doing to my car either.

Strange isn't it, some cars the shockers will last for many years, and others seem barely fit for purpose when the car's new.

Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - Collos
Its a common fault on this model and I believe they can only be bought at Chevrolet at a fantastic price.
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Shock absorber problem? - Stevek100
Thanks for the advice. Its going into a local garage next week. Hope its not going to be a big bill.
Latest Forum Posts