Technical Car/Motor Issues > Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 10

Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - Redviper
Hi All
Interesting one for you (or not for some)

1.6 HDI 110hp Auto

My partner as reported a issue, whereby if at standstill and you attempt to pull away there is a delay in the car actually moving forward for around a second or so.

Let me put it like this:
Normal Operation: Sat at the front of queue at a roundabout, you want to join the roundabout put your foot on the peddle and the car pulls away straight away, no problem as soon as you start accelerating the car pulls of.

New Problem : Sat at the front of queue at a roundabout, you want to join the roundabout. put your foot on the peddle and the car pulls away after a delay of a second, the engine revs increase however it does not feel like anything is engaging.
Driving around everything is fine the auto box is working as it should, it only seems to be when you are at a standstill and need some power to get set off.

The car has been fully serviced, however I put it like this – Despite my protests when sat at a junction SWMBO usually holds the car on the engine revs, and holds the car like this until she wants to set off – especially when on a slight incline. I say this is the cause of the problem (although I don’t know what the problem actually is) she is inclined to disagree.

We might only be keeping the car for another year max – I say live with it and it will be someone else’s problem as the car is now out of warranty.
But I would like to know what the possible causes are before (and if) we take it to Citroen for them to say there is a serious problem.

Many Thanks
 Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - Number_Cruncher
Check to see if the auto gearbox oil is burnt and smelly. If so, you've got serious wear and expense on your hands.
 Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - Dog
>> I say live with it and it will be someone else’s problem as the car is now out of warranty<<

Not a very nice attitude, but anyway - ask the pain dealer to change the transmission fluid.
 Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - -
Is this an auto or an automated manual?

Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - carmalade
Yes, I'm fairly sure this is an automated manual.So it is really a manual gearbox with auto operation of clutch and gear selection.So could it be a clutch problem??
 Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - -
Thats what i was wondering CM, if so, the driving described is text book riding of the clutch, with all the wear and heat problems that will bring.

Which incidentally i witnessed thisevening by the driver (alleged) of a 09 plate 2.0tdi Golf (DMF failure imminent), rocking backwards and forwards waiting for the lights on an incline...didn't want the driver of the loaded 44 ton truck beside to oupace him when the lights changed presumably.
 Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - Bellboy
most drivers seem to use the clutch rather than the handbrake these days
frightening really
i feel its because they cant do a handbrake start
theres a good example a few miles from me a crossroads on a hill,theres a crash daily there because motorists can do a clutch bite handbrake off manouvre ,instead they go for a clutch bite boot it go for the gap but unfortunately they get wheelspin and then get sideswiped

bring back proper driving instructers i say

edit......dammed wireless koyboords....
Last edited by: Bellboy on Tue 8 Mar 11 at 22:17
Hi All
Many Thanks for all your replies, its very welcome

Dog:

Your right, It was meant in slight jest I would want to get it sorted and I would never sell the car privately like that, however if I was offered a good part ex I would take it and mention that there might be a problem.
The car has to go in for replacement discs and pads soon so we will get them to change the auto oil there and then because I don’t think its part of a service schedule.
The car though has had 3 years and 45k miles of no mechanical sympathy again despite my protests, so its not doing to bad

gordonbennet & carmalade:

Yes the set up is like this, It’s the 1st “auto” I (through my partner) have owned – so you have A N R, and then the leaver to left allows you manual using -/+ selection via the lever or paddle shifts (which then goes back into auto mode if you get it wrong!), no clutch – so yes it’s a automated manual.

I immediately thought worn out clutch and I hope not because surely it will get worse and will be expensive.

Bellboy:
I couldn’t agree more with what you have said.

Citroen C4 - 08 1.6 Auto Box Problem - ....
Redviper,

From what you describe:
"you have A N R, and then the leaver to left allows you manual using -/+ selection via the lever or paddle shifts (which then goes back into auto mode if you get it wrong!), no clutch – so yes it’s a automated manual."

This sounds like a conventional auto setup. If it is an automated manual it will be named something along the lines of Citroën C4 1.6 HDi EGS

We have an automated manual which has the gearlever up on the steering column above the wiper stalk marked R N A M. Looks like an old American car setup.
When we bought it, the salesman specifically mentioned selecting Neutral when standing in queuing traffic as it is, after all, a manual gearbox setup with some electrickery making the changes.
Thanks gmac

Ive always had Manuals myself, this is the 1st auto ive owned (albiet though my partner) I could not tell one type (auto, automated manual, or other varients)from the other
Ive driven Auto's where by you have 123DNR (or whatever the layout is) but never owned one myself, and certainly not like the one we have in the Citroen.

I think it will have to go to the dealer for them to have a look at it, and she is just going to have to pay for it to be sorted at least I can say "I told you so" for all them times we have sat at a junction holding it on the revs *sigh*
Update

Asked my partner about it again and it seems to have magically cured itself, and is running fine, however I shall see about getting a autobox oil change

caught my partner holding it on the revs again the other day, with the response of "no im not" while pulling on the handbrake. *Rolls Eyes*
Latest Forum Posts