Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.4 Coil Pack VW 1.4 BUD engine Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 9

Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.4 Coil Pack VW 1.4 BUD engine - Zero
Nicoles Polo threw a complete wobbler this morning (it was cold last night, but not the coldest night we have had by a long way).

Refused to start, so she calls me out to the car.

Its turning over fine, but no ignition. After 20 seconds of churning I can feel it firing on 1 now and again, then 2 then 4 where it springs into life. All in all it took a minutes constant churning to get her fired up, whereby it is fine - No missing - pulls ok through the rev range.

Sounds, feels and smells like a sparks problem to me ( I could smell unburnt fuel with a pop from the exhaust (hope the cat is ok))

I whipped off the engine cover with a view to checking the plugs, and I am not sure about removing the coil packs. There is a long plastic tray, with wires fixed in, and you can see the top of each coil with its connector wire.

Do I undo each connector in turn and lever up on the individual coil pack to get them off or do they all come off at once if I prise the tray up?

Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.4 Coil Pack VW 1.4 BUD engine - carmalade
You will need to get the connectors off all of the coils before it is possible to lift each individual coil from the plugs.Removing the coil connector is a bit tricky.Carefully lift the locking tab well clear before withdrawing the connector.I would use genuine replacements at around £30 each.hth
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.4 Coil Pack VW 1.4 BUD engine - Skoda
Might not be any use, or you might already know about it, there's a VAG recall for most of their coil packs, as in back to mk4 golf days (~year 2000 through ~2009 or something like that - it's massive).

If your coil packs aren't the latest revision, you get freebies inc. labour, even though most of the cars are out of any VAG warranty and often serviced outside the dealer network. Seems to be a no quibble thing.

Password for google to unlock the goodies is 28f5-w-ignition coil
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.4 Coil Pack VW 1.4 BUD engine - Injection Doc
when she tried to start it and it failed had it previously been started just to be moved ? ie like shunted around on a driveway or moved parking space ? if so it had either flooded or the oil is a little thick and the lifters may of jacked up slightly reducing compression. Normally coil pack issues cause a misfire under load.
I don't think its the coil pack, took it out for a run last night it feels fine under load, pulls well, its started fine ever since.
It certainly smelled petrolly. Don't think it was moved around, but I was consuming tea, toast & vegemite in the kitchen!

I need to know how to get the coil packs off, as I want to change the plugs. That's why I asked if the whole tray with coil packs just lifts off.
"It certainly smelled petrolly. Don't think it was moved around, but I was consuming tea, toast & vegemite in the kitchen!"

It may of been moved the day before ? if it had been started and just moved around even a day before or earlier in the day this is the most likley cause of the starting issue.

I seem to recall i used to remove the coil packs individualy, I just cant visulize enough to remeber if they can all be pulled up at once with the tray.

>> It may of been moved the day before ? if it had been started and
>> just moved around even a day before or earlier in the day this is the
>> most likley cause of the starting issue.

As far as I know, it was parked up the previous night, left overnight (about -3 I think) and then tried starting the next morning. Its all very wierd.

Not had a problem like this the days of the fiesta with a carb!

As per the oil, I will drop it next month and replace with the recommended viscosity. And throw some plugs in it, they must be 5 years old.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 20 Mar 11 at 15:45
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.4 Coil Pack VW 1.4 BUD engine - AnotherJohnH
Injection docs comments "if it had been started and just moved around even a day before or
earlier in the day this is the most likely cause of the starting issue...."

this was _exactly_ the cause of flooding on SWMBO's old Felicia (RIP), but what common heritage the old 1.3 Škoda and the VAG 1.4 have I couldn't say.
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.4 Coil Pack VW 1.4 BUD engine - Dog
Should have bought a Jap m8y.
starting up just to shunt around !

This is the cause of so many bad starting issue's and many cars really suffered badly from this !
Nissan Micra's, eventually nissan created a mod to help with this issue.
Volvo 850's
Ford z-tec engines
Jaguar 6 cyl and V8's
Range Rover V8's

The above is just the top of my list for Monday morning breakdown calls for not starting, usually when you quiz the owner eventually it turns out the car had been started just to move it for iether washing or just shunting at some point over the weekend. some got so bad, that if they were auto I had to add spirit to the oil to thin the oil to get the tappets to decompress and add oil to the bores to restore compression from iether tappet jack or petrol wash.
I would say Zero if the VW had been moved thats why it was difficult to start.
Latest Forum Posts