Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mazda Mazda 6 - 07 2.0 Problem changing gears
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 13

Mazda Mazda 6 - 07 2.0 Problem changing gears - rtj70
Just after a forum opinion. I currently have a Mazda6 2.0d 143PS manual as some will know. It's always had a bit of a stiff gearbox when cold but when warmed up it's one of the best I've had to be honest.

Recently when changing gears it has started to 'baulk' if that's the right term. With the clutch all the way to the floor the gears can sometimes be felt grinding a bit. It went in for a service and for the clutch to be looked at earlier in July and they did their standard (1) replace transmission fluid and (2) adjust/bleed clutch.

It seemed better but now even when warm, sometimes when you go to change into gears 1, 2 and probably 3 the gearstick literally won't move more than half way and you have to force it the rest of the way. Then seconds later it might be fine again.

Back in today for its MOT and another look at the problem. Linkage checked as far as possible but nothing showing up wrong and it was behaving when they had it.

So the next step is probably take out the box, take it apart (a bit) and locate the problem. And then order parts if needed and then put it back together. So that's going to cost a bit then! Not me mind it's a company lease car.

If it was doing it all the time I'd say clutch but it's intermittent.

Any thoughts. When booking it in for the MOT and the latest attempt to diagnose the clutch I jokingly said it probably would be cheaper for all if this went back earlier and avoid the cost of the MOT, two front tyres, gearbox and the road fund licence in Oct. They didn't comment.

... shame it cannot go back early though. My Passat CC is sat in a compound nearby. But I'm trying to avoid stupid costs with this. Although on the other hand if they offload it as is, someone will buy a car with a gears problem.

Mazda Mazda 6 - 07 2.0 Problem changing gears - Zero
Does it have a DMF?
Pretty sure it does Zero. I'm thinking along the lines that it's either something simple or something like DMF too. And why if it were my decision I'd be putting it through auction (cheap).

Any tips on how to try to reproduce the problem on demand - that might help. Lease company seems to think they will decide on what to do when the problem is identified. The garage says they need to take it out (4 hour job) before they can say anymore. And then I have a hire car for a couple of weeks (more cost for someone).

And if they take out the gearbox and it ends up being the DMF then that will be easily £1000 to take the box out, diagnose and put it back. Then the cost of a DMF. For a near four year old Mazda.

Would a DMF failing cause symptoms like this? Anyone know - Z you're knowledeable in many things I know.
I also know the Mazda6 diesel is prone to DMF problems.

Now do I just stay in the Insignia until a decision is made or drive mine to south Wales as it is for the weekend. Then have to risk getting a Chevrolet Cruze again - it's what they tried to give me today but I told them it needed to be diesel and I asked for a Mondeo class of car.
DMF issues can cause gear change problems.

Is it on the up change or the down change? If you double declutch on the up change is is easier? How about a blip or heel and toe on the down change?
 Mazda Mazda 6 - 07 2.0 Problem changing gears - bathtub tom
Can you do the starter removal trick and check for swarf on this?
It's not my car so I cannot do anything. I'm wondering how I might be able to consistently recreate the problem. When I went down a local cobble street yesterday it may have caused it problems but I didn't go down that before the garage this morning.

I have to admit I didn't try double declutching - something I'm not used to. When it's extremely stiff it can be going from neutral to first, from first to second and from second back down to first too.

When it was really crunching then it was worst when for example approaching a roundabout and about to stop and then a gap opens and you change to first instead of neutral to pull away. You could feel the gears snagging.

Possibly related and may indicate there was an issue early on. Driving down the motorway a few months after getting the car. And it was very difficult to change gears. Got off at the next junction and parked up. The clutch pedal was all the way to the floor and could not be lifted. It eventually spring back of it's own accord and the AA could find no problems. Neither could Mazda when it was booked in. Now occasionally the clutch pedal did not spring all the way back but could be lifted with your foot.

I can see someone spending a couple of grand fixing this and then shortly afterwards it will be sold at auction.

If it was me? I wouldnt bother or worry about it.
Its a company car and thats why you pay company car money.

Tell the lease company its cream crackered and use a hire car till its fixed. its up to them how they do it, if it does need a new DMF they will dump it in the auction. Not your worry.
Not my worry thankfully. Only three months left on the lease too. So they are due less than another £1000 at my reckoning. Obviously I'd like to send it back early so I could have my new car. But I have no problems keeping this until October as I will save money compared to the new car. But it needs fixing.
Thinking about double declutching - when the gears are stiff, it's like this when stationary even and going from neutral to first. I'll see what Mazda say about it after they request permission to do the work.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - 07 2.0 Problem changing gears - Iffy
I take the point it has hydraulic clutch activation, but is the mechanical linkage above the pedal, or the pedal itself, slightly bent?

That would mean you are not getting full clutch disengagement, which would give the symptoms you describe.

I know most on here won't be interested but someone might stumble on this through a search.

On Monday the dealer was allowed to take a look at the gear linkage. They checked it all, lubricated it and tightened bolts. They said no problem found. So one of them drove it for two days to see if the fault could be experienced. They said no fault.

I went to drive it today and it seems the work on Monday did indeed fix it. I had read that a loose bolt related to the linkage could cause similar problems. So I will have to see how I get on. It seems okay again.

If the problem comes back the next step will be to strip down the gearbox.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - 07 2.0 Problem changing gears - Robin the Technician
My son has a 55 plate and he's had the gear cable go twice in less than 12 months. Apparently it starts to get stiff in 3rd and then goes without warning. It is a known issue but as usual with Mazda they wash their hands of such things. It's not a simple job - it takes about 6 hours and involves taking most of the interior and dash out. My Son's was done under secondhand warranty and was glad he didn't have to pay for it.
This 'could' be your problem - be warned, if it is it goes without warning and can leave you stranded.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
 Mazda Mazda 6 - 07 2.0 Problem changing gears - VxFan
>> This 'could' be your problem

Someone else's problem now as rtj70 has a different car.
Latest Forum Posts