Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus - 01 2.0 uneven brake disc temperature Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 5

Ford Focus - 01 2.0 uneven brake disc temperature - Focusless
Drove the dog somewhere different for his walk today, and when we got out there was a sort of 'hot' smell. We were in a car park and I put it down to another vehicle.

However when we got home I smelt it again. Poking my fingers through the wheel spokes I could feel the right rear disc was too hot to keep my finger on, but the left was only just warm. The 2 fronts were both hot, but I don't think they were quite as hot as the right rear.

At the last service the garage said there was initially a problem with the handbrake, but it seemed to clear itself. Do you think it might be sticking?
 Ford Focus - 01 2.0 uneven brake disc temperature - FocalPoint
I have a Focus Mk2 2005 2-litre.

What you have may not be a handbrake issue. At my last service one of the rear pads was found to be sticking against the disc - apparently when pads are changed the mechanic doesn't always bother to free the caliper to prevent this happening.

If you can smell it, it sounds as if it's generating a lot of heat and therefore wasting fuel. I can't say if there might be serious consequences if the bearing got hot as a result, but if I were you I'd get it sorted soonish.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 29 Aug 11 at 19:36
 Ford Focus - 01 2.0 uneven brake disc temperature - Number_Cruncher
You may be able to fix it by stripping, cleaning, lubricating, re-assembling and adjusting, but, it might just be quicker and simpler to fit a new caliper and some new pads.

Ford Focus - 01 2.0 uneven brake disc temperature - Zero
>> You may be able to fix it by stripping, cleaning, lubricating, re-assembling and adjusting, but,
>> it might just be quicker and simpler to fit a new caliper and some new
>> pads.

its binding, as NC said a strip and clean may do it, a new one will difinitely.

I would be inclined to do the complete pair tho, if one is going the other will, and I like them to be balanced.
Thanks chaps; I'm going to have to take it to the garage to get it sorted.
>> Thanks chaps; I'm going to have to take it to the garage to get it
>> sorted.

Took it in this morning. Just got a call from the garage - apparently it was the handbrake cable (I didn't mention that when I described the problem). New one £36 plus 1.5 hours labour to fit (it's quite long), total about £120 + VAT.

That's what the mechanic said anyway, and they've been pretty good in the past (MoT City in Winnersh).

Car is obviously starting to fall apart (Y reg), surely it's going to be much cheaper to get one of the nice new 1.6 turbo jobbies... :)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 15:04
Latest Forum Posts