Technical Car/Motor Issues > BMW - 04 3.0 How important is oil grade? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 5

BMW - 04 3.0 How important is oil grade? - legacylad
Some 20 months ago I treated myself to an '04 330Ci and which is due its annual oil change. My annual mileage is only 5k (I walk to work!) but I anticipate keeping this car a while so want to look after it.
A pal, an ex BMW mechanic, told me to get some 0/30 fully synthetic from my factors, but they have none in stock and told me that their GM 5/30 fully synthetic BMW Long Life -04 was more than adequate. My local dealer uses Castrol Edge 0/30 but at £149 for an oil change he won't be seeing me.
Will I be ok using the cheaper stuff from my factors, or should I buy some of the 0/30 Castrol Edge from another source?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 5 Oct 11 at 21:34
 BMW - 04 3.0 How important is oil grade? - bathtub tom
Hasn't this been done to death?

Read your manual. What does it say about the API and ACEA specifications?

Alternatively try this site: www.commaoil.com/

Other oil company sites are also available via Google.
 BMW - 04 3.0 How important is oil grade? - VxFan
>> Hasn't this been done to death?

Maybe, but the OP might not see it quite like that.

Getting back on topic, the GM 5w/30 long life oil is of very good quality, but whether it meets or exceeds the spec required for your car, I have no idea.
 BMW - 04 3.0 How important is oil grade? - Dog
You need The Edge fella, don't put that GM or Comma stuff in it, it's a BMW for gawds sake!

If you haven't got a mad uncle to change the oil for thee, take it to a fast-fit that uses Castrol.
 BMW - 04 3.0 How important is oil grade? - -
If you have access to a Costco card i understand they sell Mobil 1 0W 40 at very good prices.

Millers oils site is very good, i use Millers so i'm biased, from their Which Oil list your 330i would take their XF Longlife C3 5w30 which is specced for BMW Longlife 04.
millersoils-online.co.uk/1_Millers_frame_INDEX.htm
 BMW - 04 3.0 How important is oil grade? - Falkirk Bairn
>> If you have access to a Costco card i understand they sell Mobil 1 0W
>> 40 at very good prices.
>>

Under £30.00 for 5 ltrs (IIRC)
Latest Forum Posts