Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 11

Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - nice but dim
Over the last week I've noticed a groaning from the nearside rear wheel/suspension assembly on my MX3. Originally I thought it was something loose in the boot but after clearing it out the noise still there. It only happens on bumpy roads or severe suspension movement but is getting very annoying. I'm fairly sure it is safe and will at until MOT in Jan but any ideas what it might be please?

Attached is a link to a video of me firstly rocking wheel laterally and then pusing the rear up and down by hand and you can clearly hear it.

s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/timorridge/?action=view¤t=b463377d.mp4
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - Zero
Can you feel any slop or play in it? I was going to say it was a bush before I heard it, but that sounds like a spring, so shock absorber?
No play but the wheels do move slightly as it has (I think) wheels that turn into the direction of travel but it does that both sides.

Something is wrong but my money is on shock absorber or a bush as there is quite a few links that make up the rear corner.

Thnaks for your reply.
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - swiss tony
It sounds like the damper, or the top mount.
Try spraying some WD40 or similar firstly on the shaft, then if that doesn't stop it, the top mount.
You haven't kerbed it, or hit a pothole have you?
Ok thanks, I will try the WD on the shaft at the weekend but cant get to the top mount as it is hidden behind all the boot trim and dont want to dismantle all that myself (those silly plastic push rivets never go back in again properly!)

Havent kerbed it but a pot hole is a possibility, the roads round here are car killers.
Sorry I should have updated you on this.

Firstly the noise on the video WAS NOT the noise that was annoying me. The noise from the wheel has now stopped, so what that was?

The annoying noise I was refering to turned out to be the drivers rear seat belt interia roll. It seems to be rattling around in the housing but does lock when yanked hard and retract ok so to stop this I have plugged it in to the buckle and the tension seems to stop the noise.
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - Iffy
...but does lock when yanked hard...

To perform its safety function, the reel locks under gravitational pull.

Manufacturers make them lock when yanked to satisfy customers who 'test' them that way.

I wouldn't worry about a rear reel, but if you wanted to check it, sit someone in the back, brake firmly, but not hard, and see if the reel locks.

The reels on the CC3 also lock with modest cornering forces and sometimes under acceleration.

Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - bathtub tom
>>I wouldn't worry about a rear reel, but if you wanted to check it, sit someone in the back, brake firmly, but not hard, and see if the reel locks.

In an MX5?

Journalists!

;>)
Its an MX3, it has (limited) rear seating area!
Last edited by: nice but dim on Wed 14 Dec 11 at 11:17
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - Iffy
...In an MX5? Journalists!...

It's an MX3 which has rear seats and belts, and the OP specifies it's a rear seat reel.

Retired BT engineers!

Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - bathtub tom
>>Retired BT engineers!

Should've gone to, what does that say?
 Mazda MX3 - 98 1.8 Groaning noise from nearside rear - Victorbox
>> Manufacturers make them lock when yanked to satisfy customers who 'test' them that way.

Surely that's the only way an MOT tester could test them as well?
Latest Forum Posts