Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 13

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - Focusless
I've heard it lots of times from other people's cars/vans without knowing what's actually causing it, apart from it being something to do with belts(?). But now Mrs F's Colt is doing it when she starts it up in the morning - what's likely to be the problem?
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - bathtub tom
Loose auxiliary drive belt (fan belt).

At start up a lot of juice is taken out of the battery, so the alternator's working hard to replace the charge. After a while the load reduces and the belt stops slipping.
>> Loose auxiliary drive belt (fan belt).

Right, thanks. Does that mean a new belt is required, or can something be tightened? Is either expensive?
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - bathtub tom
It can be tightened.
cheers BT
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - Kevin
Be careful.

Check the belt for damage and the correct tension/deflection. If the belt is worn or contaminated clean up the pulleys and replace the belt. Overtightening a worn drive belt won't stop it squealing and can damage alternator and/or pump bearings leaving you with a bigger bill.
>> Be careful.

Don't worry, I won't be going anywhere near it - I'll leave it to someone who knows what they're doing :)
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - Bigtee
When it slips it burns the rubber so just replace the belt.
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - Dog
When I was in the mobile tuning game, I used to carry drive/cambelts for most popular makes n' models,
The state of some of the belts I came across you just wouldn't Adam & Eve!

They also glaze up + have a finite life like the ole cambelts so - I'd change the critters if I were thee.
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - MJM
And make sure that the belt is running on the sides of the pulley groove(s) and not on the bottom of the V.

Not so much a problem with multi-v belts but the old single ones would bottom out if a badly designed pulley spread apart and widened the V.
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - Iffy
An old tip is to dribble some water onto the belt.

The belt is partly made of fibre, the water causes the fibres to shrink, thereby tightening the belt.

Car is in for a major service today at the local indie, and I mentioned the noise. Guy just rang up to say he doesn't like tightening old belts because the chances are it will be squealing again in a few weeks' time, and unless I'm desperate to change the belt (which isn't easily accessible in the Colt) he would leave it.

I didn't hear it make much noise this morning so I'm taking his advice.
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - VxFan
>> he doesn't like tightening old belts because the chances are it will be squealing again in a few weeks' time

In the days before automatic tensioners I've tightened belts and they've not started squealing again.
 Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - 07 1.3 engine squealing - madf
id it all the time on 106s...
Latest Forum Posts