Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Fiesta cutting out Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 6

Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Fiesta cutting out - RattleandSmoke
The 97 FIesta is cutting out at junctions. It cuts out instantly if you rev it above 3000 rpm, as soon as you take the foot of the throttle the revs drop and it cuts out instantly.

It is the OHV Endura engine.

There is also a hissing sound when it is revs or when the revs drop.

It is running on all four and there is no smoke.

Anything I can do other than clean out the idle control valve?
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Fiesta cutting out - Zero
Fixing the leaking inlet manifold might be a good idea
I did think that is what the leak could be but its only a very slight noise, just spoke to dad and he reckons MPG has gone down to around 20mpg from 35 so you;re diagnoses is probably correct :(.

Anyway to bodge this? It is going to the scrappy in a few months time but we cannot afford to replace the car yet.
Is it likely to be a big job and if its left I assume the leak could get bigger to the point where the air/fuel mixture would be so out it the engine simply won't run?
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Fiesta cutting out - bathtub tom
Find out where the leak is. I'd start by looking at the pipes that connect to the inlet manifold, mainly brake servo and breathers.
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Fiesta cutting out - Dave_
>> Is it likely to be a big job

Not for someone with the tools and the experience, no. Best thing is to get a garage (or Ted) to have a look at it in exchange for a Christmas drink. Some Hermetite Blue and a few nipped-up bolts is probably all it needs to get another 6 months out of the thing, you don't want to be spending money on something that's getting scrapped next Spring.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 27 Nov 11 at 19:28
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Fiesta cutting out - carmalade
There is a 4 way breather hose that runs on top of the inlet manifold .Check this for splits and collapsed pipes.Also a faulty oil filler cap can give these problems as it is part of the crankcase breather system.hth
Latest Forum Posts