Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Hydraulic clutch makes a clattering sound w Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 5

Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Hydraulic clutch makes a clattering sound w - RattleandSmoke
engaged.

I had noticed the tappety sound for a while, but just assumed it was the engine getting clapped out (e.g tappets).

Today we took to the garage which didn't really look at it properly as he knows we are scrapping it, but he cleaned out the throttle and it now idles much better. The stalling issue is still there but its now doesn't do it under normal driving as it has stopped over reving. He checked for loose hoses etc too but other than decided it wasn't worth spending any more time on due to the fact we getting rid of it soon.

He didn't charge for doing this.

I had to drive it back as my farther was in work, I had trouble engaging 1st but I then noticed every time the clutch is pressed there is a load clattering sound coming from the engine. I assume it is something to with the hydraulic system. The brake/clutch fluid fully topped up.

What is this likely to be? It is just out of interest rather than the intention of getting it fixed, unless it is something very simple which I doubt.

Not to worry, I have a spare push bike he can have............
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Hydraulic clutch makes a clattering sound w - Skip
It could be the thrust bearing on its way out. But as you say yourself its not really worth investigating now, just keep driving till it drops. Make sure that it has recovery breakdown cover as it could be very expensive to get it recovered if it finally gives out on the motorway !
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Hydraulic clutch makes a clattering sound w - RattleandSmoke
It does have break down cover thankfully, it needs to used on a 300 mile trip over the weekend which I personally think is risky but its mostly motorway and I would imagine it would cause other problems just before it finally gives in.

Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Hydraulic clutch makes a clattering sound w - RichardW
Thrust bearing is knackered or the clutch pressure plate fingers are breaking up. It may well last another 5k miles, or it might go bang tomorrow. Most likely you will end up with premanently engaged drive. If may well hasten the end of its life, because the gear box will need to come out to fix it, so not worth doing on a (near) scrapper.
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Hydraulic clutch makes a clattering sound w - TeeCee
> which I personally think is risky but its mostly motorway

If it is the release bearing, then that's less risky than driving it around town.
You won't be changing gear much on the motorway, so it's less likely to break.
If it does go, you can change gear without a clutch, it's only starting from rest that's an issue.

I've driven a couple of things lacking clutch release in the past. Changing up and down isn't too hard and just involves treating each change as a delberate, two step, disengage and engage process, matching revs to road speed/gear. Setting off involves turning it off, sticking it in first, standing on the throttle and turning the key......
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 Hydraulic clutch makes a clattering sound w - bathtub tom
And if you've got an old A35 whose battery will no longer turn the starter in gear, you whip out the starting handle and wind it in gear. Once it fires, pull out the handle (while running backwards) and jump in through the door (you did leave the door open, didn't you?).
Latest Forum Posts