Technical Car/Motor Issues > Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 20

Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - Stuu
I keep getting a whiff of something but I cant for the life of me work out where its coming from or what it is.

Its a sort of acrid smell, sort of burning, but only when I open either of the front windows about an inch or so - any more and it goes away. It is also only present when moving above 40 mph.

So far ive stuck my nose under the bonnet after a run, nothing. Ive tried sticking my nose at the bottom edge of the windscreen where fumes might then blow up to the side windows. Nothing. Engine on or off stationary. Nothing.

Ive done a fast run and then checked all wheels for heat incase of sticking brake. Nothing.

Ive got a squealing belt which is being attended to tomorrow - could that make such a smell?

Its very weird but always present at certain conditions. My guess is that its not fluid burning or getting hot but plastic or similar. Damned if I can find where its coming from though.

Im going to open up both fuse boxes just to have a look and my only other thought was that when I open the windows, its bringing air from the back of the car forward and im looking at the wrong end. Genuinely puzzled.

I have noticed that the airbox which sits ontop of the engine is abit loose, it seems to have had a foam washer which has disintergrated on the main fixing, I wonder if maybe its touching a warm bit of the engine. Actually resonates a little with the smell.

Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - L'escargot
>> Ive got a squealing belt which is being attended to tomorrow - could that make
>> such a smell?

If it's squealing it's probably slipping, in which case it will be getting hot.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - Dave_
>> when I open the windows, its bringing air from the back of the car forward and im looking at the wrong end

I would investigate that, or possibly the window switch or motor itself? (It does have 'leccy ones, doesn't it?) :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 14:24
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - Zero
Plastic bag stuck to exhaust.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - Dog
My previous Almera always whiffed if I stuck my hooter under the bonnet, the smell was as if there was a leak in the cooling system - which there wasn't, couldn't smell it inside the car though.

Check all areas of the engine where cooling system/engine oil/hydraulic fluid could be leaking and burning.
Dont know how relevant this is but following on from my airbox thought I investigated.

Now when they did the cambelt, they took off the intake which sits across the top of the engine.

It seems from the remnants that the intake slides into a holder of both rubber and some black foam - the foam seems to have disintegrated as I suspected, only a little was still hanging on in the rubber mount - the rest of it was lodged in a crevice in the engine block between the filler cap and cambelt cover so it would have got very hot.
The bits I pulled out were extremely brittle whereas the stuff I cleaned out from the mount was quite soft still. I do wonder if it could have been this foam getting hot that made the smell, time will tell of course but it seems possible?

The belt only started squealing about 3 days ago in rainy weather, though it hasnt stopped since - it isnt loud but its consistant and measures with engine speed.

Looked underneath, nothing stuck to exhaust though a good call.
Last edited by: FoR on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 15:00
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - zookeeper
oil on auxiliary drive belts? alternator, power steering pump ...etc etc
Belts look ok, clean and not frayed at all.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - bathtub tom
>>My previous Almera always whiffed if I stuck my hooter under the bonnet, the smell was as if there was a leak in the cooling system - which there wasn't

Funny you should mention that. I've spent the last six years looking for coolant leak I can smell on mine, It's a very distinctive smell, isn't it? It's never needed topping up!
Yes it is dis-stinc-tive, and well known to my muzzle having spent 14 years under car bonnets!

My coolant level never needed topping up in the 4 years I owned the car,
I did wonder if it was condensation in the radiator matrix burning orf?
Im going the whole way and jet washing ( carefully ) the engine bay tomorrow in the hopes that the smell is some fluid somewhere working its way down to the exhaust.

Ive been under there with a torch and theres deffo no plastic bags.

There is a little excess fluid, looks like PAS, low down on the subframe so Im going to get all that gone and see if it makes any difference. Im not sure what PAS fluid smells like when it gets too hot, but seems worth a try.

My only other outside possibility is a mainfold leak somewhere though I couldnt detect one.
I don't like the idea of jet washing the engine comrade FoR, however carefully.

Excess fluid might be ATF :( .. put a sheet of cardboard underneath the engine area & check it out in the morn for oil/fluid.

If the inlet man was leaking, the car ( and I use that term loosely) would run ruff, if it was the exhaust man you'd hear it.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Name that smell - NortonES2
Durian. Assembly worker has left you a pressie:)
I wouldnt jet wash the engine. Asking for trouble.
Ive jetwashed hundreds of engine bays over the years, its one of the few times I can confidently say, I know what Im doing, I did a bit this morning, it was fine, its very precise if you know what your doing. Most dont.

Not to say that you can cause alot of trouble, but thats when you let an untrained monkey at it.
>>Ive jetwashed hundreds of engine bays over the years, its one of the few times I can confidently say, I know what Im doing<<

Yes, I did think that actually :) lets just hope it isn't ATF.

Good luck!
Name that smell: Roasted wasps.

Yes folks, ive just pulled three very crispy wasps, potentially more I cant get to, from under the heat shield. I think mystery solved.
Which heat shield?
The one over the manifold. Ive been BBQing wasps on the manifold.
Last edited by: FoR on Sun 29 Jan 12 at 12:01
Could start a new trend - bbq Wasp flavoured crisps!
Now I think about it, insecs do make an unholy stink when they get caught on the manifold, but it wasnt until I looked very closely with a torch that I saw what I thought was excess gasket sealant, but when I poked it, it crunched so I pulled it out and it was the backside of a wasp - closer inspection revealed another two.

Im guessing there may be the beginnings of a nest under the heatshield from last summer.
Latest Forum Posts